[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My Wicked Cynaria

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default My Wicked Cynaria

I have had these piece for about 6 months now. I love it, i think it is amazing. This little guy isn't so little, he is about 9 inches in diameter. Pretty Sweet.

IMG 1092 - My Wicked Cynaria

CR Member
    Awards Referral Award

That is gorgeous!! How big was it when you first got it,how often do you feed it and what type of food?

Love Should NEVA Be Limited

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Nice!

Its actually a Acanthaphyllia Deshayesiana (bali scoly)

Should eat mysis, chopped up silversides, squid and about anything else it can fit in its mouth.

CR Member

It hasn't gotten too much larger since i got it. I target feed it every 2 weeks a combination of rod's food & the PE Mysis. It does eat about every 2 days also when i feed my fish. I feed my fish the same combination of food.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Nice!

Its actually a Acanthaphyllia Deshayesiana (bali scoly)

Should eat mysis, chopped up silversides, squid and about anything else it can fit in its mouth.
    I never realized the controversy on this topic, the difference between a scoly or cynaria. I am not really concerned if it is a scoly or cynaria. It doesn't change that the one i have is BAD $%#.

I just found this article and i thought it was interesting how the history of the naming of this coral dates back to 1850. Over a century and a half ago.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1389175

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Hardly surprising. Anybody who has done any research on coral classification will quickly learn that in reality very little is truly know, as the classification of corals has had very little research or interest. Too many land-based organisms to pursue the DNA analysis of, few people have time to pursue DNA analysis of ocean organisms, and without DNA research, classification is simply guess work based on structural differences or similarities. Its one of the reasons I always chuckle when people in this hobby get mad about common names and say we should just go to using scientific names. I would guess that the vast majority of corals imported into this country have never been DNA analyzed and are imported and sold under incorrect or debated scientific names. Look at zoanthids, protopalythoa and palythoa just as an example. None of the big names out there can even agree on what should or shouldn't be included in these three genera.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

Here is a pic of my Acanthaphyllia Deshayesiana (bali scoly)

newpics0007 1 - My Wicked Cynaria

CR Member

lol, very nicely stated Wy

Very nice piece skyhigh

CR Member

there seems to be a good bit of physical differences. im no expert nor have i studied them just felt theres a bit of difference the 2 next to each othere look like different peices and everyone should have them both.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BusyB View Post
    I never realized the controversy on this topic, the difference between a scoly or cynaria. I am not really concerned if it is a scoly or cynaria. It doesn't change that the one i have is BAD $%#.

I just found this article and i thought it was interesting how the history of the naming of this coral dates back to 1850. Over a century and a half ago.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1389175

Nice link! Definitely people getting their feathers in a bunch over what to call it. I don't care what you call it, it is an awesome coral! Great pick up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last