[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Oh no!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Jarred1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Oh no!

I just bought a Miami Hurricane chalice frag and dipped it in iodine for less than a minute. I then put it in the tank and it began to shed mucus and then it turned black, you can see some of the mucus in the picture?!?!?! Is this normal?

DSCF1230 - Oh no!

DSCF1232 - Oh no!

DSCF1236 - Oh no!
    "It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word 'bling' was never invented..."

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

You will see mucas when touching a chalice or sps, that is common. But for it to turn black, no that's not common. Best thing to do is leave it alone and hope it comes back. Put it in a low flow area and don't mess with it. I'd be asking for a refund though because it shouldn't have done that. It will take months for it to come back, if it does.

He isn't going to give me a refund, he said it looked fine in his tank and that it must be my water. I have 3 other chalice that are growing just fine so I highly doubt the water caused this.
    "It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word 'bling' was never invented..."

Probably a bad frag. Did he just do it minutes before you got there? Well hoepfully it will come back but I wouldn't be doing any more business with him, that's for sure.

It was fragged a few days prior, this guy has always been fair with me though. He has 2 more frags but I don't want to pay again for something that just died.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Are chalices able to handle an iodine dip? I could be wrong, but I dont think iodine is a good choice for many corals.....someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Normally I only iodine dip zoas/palys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Are chalices able to handle an iodine dip? I could be wrong, but I dont think iodine is a good choice for many corals.....someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Normally I only iodine dip zoas/palys.
    I thought you only iodine dip after you frag something or if there is an infection. Does iodine do anything for pests? I know it helps "heal" the fragged coral but not sure about chalices. That's why I use Coral RX, it kills the bugs.

Iodine does knock the little critters out!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred1 View Post
    Iodine does knock the little critters out!
    Apparently it knocks out chalices too.

I personally would not use iodine on LPS or SPS. In fact, I have gotten away from it on all corals. With Coral Rx and Revive on the market, they are a lot easier on the coral tissue. Zoanthids, while can protect themselves by closing, still get very stressed with an iodine dip...even more so with the famous freshwater dip.

Your chalice may in fact benefit from a dip of Revive because it does have some antibacterial properties to slow any infections that might set in. Put it in a lower area of light that receives good indirect flow and hope for the best.

Also I keep in mind what the stock is that I am adding and whether they are prone to pests and if so, which ones. For the most part, chalices aren't one of those corals that seem to come in with bugs, flatworms or nudis. So I generally look at them and watch them right after adding to the tank to see if anything crawls around on them and don't dip them.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Do you have a picture of the miami hurricane being offered or the frag pre shipping?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last