[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

One Acan 'melting', other Acan okay

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default One Acan 'melting', other Acan okay

I have two Acan's in my system, presently. In the tank, they're right next to each other, one has been in there about 3 months, the other probably 2 months. Both have started to show new growth, in that time.

It may have started earlier, but I noticed today that my green Acan, the one that's been in 2 months, has started to show it's skeleton, in several places. All the polyps are still alive.

While I don't have any alk tests onhand, all my other LPS coral is doing well, including my other Acans which are still nice and fleshy, as well as my Blastos, Torch, Favia, Scoly and Acanthophylia all remain the same and healthy looking. My Scoly has even improved, since I got it in, is responsive far more on feedings it was when I got it, and remains pretty happy. So, no clue as to what could be happening here.

After reading online, most people seemed to suggest a 'dip' when this was going on, so I did a dip with Revive, and set it a little lower in the tank on the sandbed right next to my Blastos for now so I can better watch if it heals.

Is there anything else I can do to help it heal, before it fully is gone? Not sure how to feed these, but I know feeding can help a coral recover; I've yet to spot feed either of my acans.

CR Member

Well, just tried it. Not sure if they got anything or not; the videos of people feeding Acans all have them using some kind of tube to 'feed' reef snow through a small spigot right onto the polyps, and show the acans basically sucking the stuff down. Hoping they got some zoo plankton, or some cylop-eeze, I fed a bit of Reef Paradise food, along with some extra cyclop-eeze.

Next time I feed them, I'll probably use the top of a 20oz bottle, to keep the fish/shrimpcrabs/snails away. I'm still not sure how they got like this, though. All of them, save one small one, still have all the flesh of the inner polyp still, it's mainly the outer 'rings' that are skeletal on some sides of a couple different polyps.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default One Acan 'melting', other Acan okay

All I ever fed mine were frozen brine and PEmysis shrimp. Ate it right up! Small meaty foods
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com