[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

The Other Other Project

Bookmark and Share
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default The Other Other Project

Like I needed to add another project to the list, but I have taken on a sort of experiment.
    With some corals I already had and inspired by Werdlones thread on brown corals, I have made an effort to pick up some of those brown and or half dead corals lately. And so far it has been a real exciting experience. So far I have had some amazing luck and just wanted to share a little. You SPS guys please chime in with some IDs as I am uncertain on a few!

First is a Blasto that was had zero visible flesh and the only color was actually the skeleton.
    What a surprise, I count 5 colors right now but who knows. I have only had this piece a week I believe?
    IMG 0302 - The Other Other Project

Next piece is a favia, I think? Super faded and actually had a ring of dead skeleton around it that I trimmed. This one I picked up today.
    IMG 0307 - The Other Other Project

Here is another Blasto I picked up that you can see with the other one. This again was a brownish pink, hardly and color piece. So far it hasn't puffed up much but there is some color popping out! Picture doesn't really grab it but there is an electric light blue ring on the outer perimeter that is so cool.
    IMG 0325 - The Other Other Project

This one was sold to me as a Idaho Grape? Total brown out now you can see the outer ring is changing colors and there are some polyps beginning to pop!
    IMG 0324 1 - The Other Other Project

This blueish green hairy guy in the middle came to me from California from a guy on another board. It was the same color as the other Acro upper left to it when I got it. They have always been side by side like that. IDs would be great. Oh, supposedly they are ORA. To its right is supposed to be a frag of a frag of a ORA Tri-Color Valida. I have a mini colony/frag in the DT that doesn't share many similarities other than the green mini polyps.
    IMG 0330 - The Other Other Project
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Werdlone - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

its fun getting browned out corals and finding hidden gems!!!! unfortunately, not all turn out that great, but IMO its worth it. You may get the next "limited edition whatever!" The Idaho grape looks more like an undata montipora. Not a true undata with white polyps. It will most likely get a nice green base with reddish/brown polyp and blue growth edge. Something like this....
    mconfusa - The Other Other Project
    just my guess..you may have something totally new!!!

The last pic looks like a blue tenius or blue bottlebrush. May be the marshall island blue bottlebrush or joe the coral if it is an ORA. Gotta wait and see!

save me a frag of that rainbow blasto!!!
    Last edited by Werdlone; 11-13-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added picture

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

+1 to the idaho grape not looking like an idaho grape. either that, or your camera is far superior to my eyes!

Looks like things are going great on this project so far. Things look like they are making very fast turnarounds for you. Keep up the good work.

I am also a fan of "diamonds in the rough", only on the zoanthid level of things. Its great to take a not so colorfull item and see what it turns into.

As for sps- I can turn anything brown for you, but keep it alive if you ever need me to.....

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Werdlone View Post
    its fun getting browned out corals and finding hidden gems!!!! unfortunately, not all turn out that great, but IMO its worth it. You may get the next "limited edition whatever!" The Idaho grape looks more like an undata montipora. Not a true undata with white polyps. It will most likely get a nice green base with reddish/brown polyp and blue growth edge. Something like this....
    mconfusa - The Other Other Project
    just my guess..you may have something totally new!!!

The last pic looks like a blue tenius or blue bottlebrush. May be the marshall island blue bottlebrush or joe the coral if it is an ORA. Gotta wait and see!

save me a frag of that rainbow blasto!!!
    Ya, Joe the Coral that was a name on the list he sent me know that I think about it.

For sure on the Blasto, there are a few babies on the other side!

Anyone have a good link to what an Idaho Grape looks like.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Dont have a link or pic, but looks like every other monti cap, just a specific color.

Idaho Grape is a montipora undata. What you have looks to me like a montipora confusa. Very cool potential.

Awards Tank of the Month

here is an Idaho grape cap....
    idahograpemonti - The Other Other Project

this is a frag of my out-of-control growth on this thing...it's for saaaale

Awards Tank of the Month

dp...............oops
    Last edited by Werdlone; 11-14-2009 at 11:16 PM.

looks nice alot of sweet coral