[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Protecting My Plate Coral From Pistol Shrimp

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Protecting My Plate Coral From Pistol Shrimp

One of the corals I got from the show on Sunday was a pretty mini plate coral, about as big as a fifty cent piece or maybe a silver dollar, no bigger.

Twice, now, I've just wandered over to my tank to view it, look at my coral, enjoy it, and caught my pistol shrimp trying to move it. At least once (though I believe twice) I caught him red-handed trying to drag it into his lair. The second time I know he moved it a few inches at the very least.

Is there any way I can protect the plate from being taken by the pistol? Any ideas, here? I like the pistol shrimp, he adds a lot of character to my tank, not to mention does a great job of keeping the sand turned over.

He got mad at my scoly, too, but gave up on trying to move it. But as he's dug out pretty much both sides of the tank, there's not really a place I can set the plate that isn't near one of his dens/entrances/exits. Right now I have the plate in one corner of the tank, in between at a good 90-ish degree angle from either entrance on either side. But, that's where I also caught him moving it the second time.

Any advice would be great.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

You have to fasten it down or distract him. Put a dead frag closer to his tunnel and he will spend his energy on that
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

CR Member

Well, I didn't have a dead frag, so I used a piece of larger rubble to put it between the entrance he'd been dragging it back to, or towards, and the plate coral for now. I'm really hoping that works. I don't wish to tear out my rockwork and move everything to take the pistol out if he's going to keep messing with my coral. I like him, and would like to keep him, but right after I posted that, he's out and dumping gravel into my scoly's disc.

How would I fasten down the plate coral, though?

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Danroth View Post
    Well, I didn't have a dead frag, so I used a piece of larger rubble to put it between the entrance he'd been dragging it back to, or towards, and the plate coral for now. I'm really hoping that works. I don't wish to tear out my rockwork and move everything to take the pistol out if he's going to keep messing with my coral. I like him, and would like to keep him, but right after I posted that, he's out and dumping gravel into my scoly's disc.

How would I fasten down the plate coral, though?
    You would have to put it on a piece of rock until the shrimp got used to it. The rubble will work, they are pretty predicable critters.
    Last edited by slapshot; 01-29-2013 at 02:10 AM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

If you can place the plate up in your rocks they will also live there.

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Kill the shrimp.... lol i always get frustrated when my skunk cleaner steal food when im feeding my corals.