[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Acanthastrea Echinata

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Acanthastrea Echinata

Hi everybody

I'll be getting my Acanthastrea Echinata tomorrow, via Happy Coral, Inc. (I shop no where else) I've done as much research as possible. One thing I've read is that they do not like a tank full of softies. But it doesn't say why this is. Anybody have knowledge about the reason?

I do have zoa's, shrooms and a couple of maxi minis. Not abundantly but enough to give me concern. As far as caring for them, info is that they are not that much different from other acans except for their aggressiveness.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I have never owned one, so I can say for sure but I'd venture to guess that it'll be fine with the zoas and shooms. The reason a tankful of softies causes problems is likely the chemicals some soft corals release to inhibit other coral growth.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics and hearing about your new acan!

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks Tom makes sense to me lol. I'll def be putting up some pix-the colors remind me of Skittles!

HappyCoral - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Christian

Did you find a spot?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I've found a spot for now just gotta do a little arranging and I should be good. Have the Hammer on the bottom for now. Just wanted to acclimate it to my tank. Today I'll move her higher up. The zoa's are on the bottom also, polyps have yet to open but for me zoa's are kind of slow doing so. As soon as I'm done THE Acan should have the entire sand bed to herself

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Just try to keep it from touching other corals. They can send out sweepers...so keep an eye out for them.

As far as it not liking tanks with softies, running and changing carbon will help with that which will help water quality in general.

CR Member

Make sure you check your new Echinata every night about an hour after lights out. If it is hungry or feeling threatened, it will send out sweepers and they will devour everything within 8 inches of the main body. It looks like it casts out nets from each head (could be individual stomachs). In the last year and a half I have lost a Ric (two inches across), a good ten Zoas, a couple of Shrimp Molts and two Cerith Snails. If I see it start to release sweepers, I mildly blast it with a baster and then spot feed it into the sweeper nets.

Good luck, I love mine, it was a raffle prize from VI Pets two GRMAS Christmas parties ago. It started out about 1.5 inches across and about 5-6 heads, and is now close to 3" across and about 15-20 heads.

CR Member

Yep I have lost a few corals to mine as well. Moved it out of my DT and it now resides in a corner of my frag tank 4 to 5 inches away from everything else.

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

HERE is a thread about my acan echinata attacking some yellow polyps.
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - Acanthastrea Echinata