[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

trumpet coral introble

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default trumpet coral introble

over the past week my trumpete coral with 25+ heads on it was doing great each day it would fill with water and expand to almost an inch in diameter of each head. however im lookign at it not and it seems that a closter of 5 heads are dark gray, liek it is when the lights are off, and smaller then dimes. my salts good and iv been keeping good parameters with alk and calcium because of 2 part solution. does anyone have ideas? should i just frag the whole cluster and end up with about 10 head of about 2 or 3?

CR Member

i have noticed my 2 inch hippo tang random nipps at the coral which is my only guess, does anyone have any explanation for how come hes only nipping at the pink trumpets? and if theres anyway to make him stop i just feed him with some algea strips and im going to float shrimp around the tank hopefully he gets full for two days

Sparky - Reefkeeper CR Member

John,
    We had a Tomini Tang that aquired the taste of some expensive brain corals. We moved the corals to different locations within the tank, but eventually he went back to nipping at all three of them. We moved them to the "hospital" tank and they fully recovered. We, unfortunately, had to take that tang back to the LFS. We picked up a sailfin tang and a yellow bellied tang and so far neither of them have aquired a taste for those corals. There really isn't a guarantee that they won't nip at your corals. If you have the ability to move the trumpets to another tank for survival, that might be your best bet. Good luck!

CR Member

it has been about a week or two since the trumpets have opend up. They dont wanto fill up with water they like to stay shriveld and small. i have good parameters and havent seen the blue tang touch them, how long would it take for the coral to rebound and come back out?