[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Trumpet Coral not doing well

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Scout - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Trumpet Coral not doing well

I am new to the reef world. Started my tank in March and things have gone real well. The only thing I can not get to work for me is a 4 branched Trumpet Coral. I have a frogspawn, mushrooms, and some zoos that are doing great. I also have a pocillopora damicornis that has done real well for about a month and now looks a little down.

I have moved the Trumpet around and in one spot it seemed to improve but now is going down hill again. Not sure if its a calcium thing or what. I just ordered a Calcium tester so I can see what the level is on that.

All my water readings are real good. Its a 29 gallon tank and I do 4 gal. water changes weekly with RO water. My lighting is 4 HO T5's 30 inch long, two white and two blue.

Any thoughts on how to make my Trumpets thrive?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Do you run any GFO for phosphates?

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Got a pic? Is it green.....and browning?

Not sure what a GFO is LOL but phosphates have been sitting at near 0 or maybe once or twice up to .25.

It is kind of caved in on it self. It is green with white stem but some of the stem is turning brown. Will try to get a pic.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

GFO is for phosphates. I have found that LPS seem to wither over time (months) with the presence of phosphates. May not be your issue. However, I'm skeptical with most test kits.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Does it look mushy and not expanding?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Jarred1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

This coral is very hardy and has a very high chance of surviving. First thing you have to do is stop moving it leave it in one spot and don't bother it. At night you might be able to see the tentacles, if you do try and feed it a meaty food like mysis shrimp. Try and keep your tanks alk, cal, and mag stable.

Here are pictures of a candy cane that I have saved:

DSCF9262 - Trumpet Coral not doing well

DSCF5248 - Trumpet Coral not doing well
    "It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word 'bling' was never invented..."

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Just put it in a low flow area. Do you see tenticles out after lights out? If so, that's always a good sign. I had one that looked horrible like Jarred's and it came back but took some time.

Candy cane is one coral I always seemed to have trouble with and eventually stopped trying.

Jar the top photos looks just like mine. I am thinking maybe it is my phos. I get a Calcium test kit tomorrow so should be good to see were I am at with that.

It used to have tenticles but I do not see them anymore. I will look at night to see if I have them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last