[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What is up with my Acan?!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default What is up with my Acan?!

Haven't changed a thing. Parameters stable. No other corals showing signs of stress. Going on 2nd full days looking like this.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429288565.840333.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  44.9 KB

It use to look like this.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429288599.508789.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  46.7 KB
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

waucedah_joe - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

If you figure it out be sure and post your findings. I have terrible luck with acans. They live but to not grow.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

What (and how often) have you been feeding it?

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default What is up with my Acan?!

Just been broadcast feeding Reef Frenzy 2x a day. Zooplankton & Phytoplankton 1x a week about 5ml each via the sump, right before return pump. That's it.
    I've had this Acan for a year now, from just 1 head. It's been in that spot for a long time. My other Acan is fine about 5" from this one.

Ca 440, ALK 9.2, Mag 1440, PH 8.2, Temp 79.2

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I find target feeding acans to greatly improve their health and growth. It doesn't seem like that is the issue here though. Any new fish or inverts that may be irritating it? Or changes in flow? Really though a coral closing up for 2 days is not something to get too concerned about.

Tom

What lighting are you using?
    I had strictly leds over one tank of mine and always lost acans after 6 months to a yr. never figured it out. My other tank with same LEDs and additional t5s, acans would thrive. Parameters were very similar in both tanks also

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Although it's not as swollen today, it still remains weird. I'm wonder if while messing around with my Gyre (switched sides for a minute) if it got hit with some not so gently flow, and I didn't notice at the time.
    @guzzlo -It's been under LED's for 10 months. Hopefully this isn't the case of its illness. No way can I add T5's.

Have had acans under led for a couple years now with no problem

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

If no tissue loss has happened I wouldn't worry to much. Flow can cause them to recede or if a fish decided to peck at it out of boredom or for whatever reason they will do this. How does it look with the lights off? If it appears the same in blackout I would dip it to ensure its not a parasite issue. Then watch and target feed it. Good luck

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Today it's looking much better!! Almost back to normal. Boy that was a scary ride-lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last