[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Working on Stocking list

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Working on Stocking list

Okay getting closer to being able to start getting fish and this is what I am thinking towards a stocking list. Tank size is a 72 gallon.

Pair of Clowns either Percula or Ocellaris
    Firefish either red or purple haven't decided on which
    Barnacle Blenny thinking maybe 2 or 3
    Royal Gramma
    One Spot Foxface
    Kole Tang
    Mandarian Dragonet (will first establish a pod population, also talked to my lfs and the Mandarians they get are captive breed and accept prepared food)
    Green Chromis (thinking about this one but haven't completely decided yet)

A few others I am thinking of is maybe a fairy or flasher wrasse one or two although with doing the dragonet might decide to pass on them so that don't have too many fish competing for pods. Another fish that I keep coming back to is a Coral Beauty Angel, I like the look of the fish but not sure about it being reef compatiable. I am starting this tank as a fish only and when money allows will be getting lighting that will allow me to keep corals, so I am trying to base fish selections on being reef safe. Also in which order would you suggest adding these fish, I want to wait awhile on the Mandarian to allow for the pod population to establish.
    Any suggestions in the order to work on adding these fish? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by BarbH View Post
    Okay getting closer to being able to start getting fish and this is what I am thinking towards a stocking list. Tank size is a 72 gallon.

Pair of Clowns either Percula or Ocellaris
    Firefish either red or purple haven't decided on which
    Barnacle Blenny thinking maybe 2 or 3
    Royal Gramma
    One Spot Foxface
    Kole Tang
    Mandarian Dragonet (will first establish a pod population, also talked to my lfs and the Mandarians they get are captive breed and accept prepared food)
    Green Chromis (thinking about this one but haven't completely decided yet)

A few others I am thinking of is maybe a fairy or flasher wrasse one or two although with doing the dragonet might decide to pass on them so that don't have too many fish competing for pods. Another fish that I keep coming back to is a Coral Beauty Angel, I like the look of the fish but not sure about it being reef compatiable. I am starting this tank as a fish only and when money allows will be getting lighting that will allow me to keep corals, so I am trying to base fish selections on being reef safe. Also in which order would you suggest adding these fish, I want to wait awhile on the Mandarian to allow for the pod population to establish.
    Any suggestions in the order to work on adding these fish? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
    I started my tank with Chromis....then a week or so later, added a pair of clown fish.

Regarding the Coral Beauty -- From aquaticcommunity.com: "The Coral Beauty is not really considered reef safe, because it may attack both corals and other types of invertebrates. It is especially prone to nip soft and stony corals, and can also harm feather dusters and anemones."

As far as the mandarin.... there are plenty of differing opinions on when you should add a mandarin. Bottom line, they are heavy eaters with a fast metabolism (captive bred or not). If you do not have sufficient pods, then you need to be prepared to feed them often. I suggest that you research this here and other places, then base the purchase off of those requirements. You will hear plenty of opinions either way.

Have fun with your fish selection!!!

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefishgirl View Post
    I started my tank with Chromis....then a week or so later, added a pair of clown fish.

Regarding the Coral Beauty -- From aquaticcommunity.com: "The Coral Beauty is not really considered reef safe, because it may attack both corals and other types of invertebrates. It is especially prone to nip soft and stony corals, and can also harm feather dusters and anemones."

As far as the mandarin.... there are plenty of differing opinions on when you should add a mandarin. Bottom line, they are heavy eaters with a fast metabolism (captive bred or not). If you do not have sufficient pods, then you need to be prepared to feed them often. I suggest that you research this here and other places, then base the purchase off of those requirements. You will hear plenty of opinions either way.

Have fun with your fish selection!!!
    Thanks Becky

I know that the Coral Beauty is not considered reef safe, and have read that myself. It is just one of those fish that I keep coming back to which I like.

For the Mandarian I have been doing a lot of research on this fish and when I get my clean up crew I will be getting pods at the same time to let them start establishing in the aquarium and will also be getting some cheato. At this time I don't have a refugium but looking into getting an hob refugium. For the cheato I have seen people set up a container to hold the cheato in the back of the display, which I am looking into doing until I get the refugium set up. The Mandarian will be one of the last fish that I will add.