[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Another Clown question

Bookmark and Share
    mrs.som - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Another Clown question

I am wondering about clown nem selection behavior. The larger Clarkii has been spending about 75 percent of "her" time near my condy. She doesn't seem to touch it, just hovers about 1/2 to 1/4" inch away from it. Is she considering it or is it just a coincidence? I know condys are not natural hosts but these clowns were captive bred so...

Thanks in advance for the advice!
    29 gallon Biocube: Stock equipment, SR3 Skimmer
    Le Frog, Lawnmower Blenny
    The Petries, Clarkii Clowns
    Kermit, Emerald Crab
    Leather Coral, Kenya Trees, Red Mushrooms
    ~More to come as budget allows!~

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.som View Post
    I am wondering about clown nem selection behavior. The larger Clarkii has been spending about 75 percent of "her" time near my condy. She doesn't seem to touch it, just hovers about 1/2 to 1/4" inch away from it. Is she considering it or is it just a coincidence? I know condys are not natural hosts but these clowns were captive bred so...

Thanks in advance for the advice!
    have you seen the clarkii in it at all?

Where does it sleep at night?

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

honestly I have heard clarkies like carpet nems or bta but condie is similar to a bta in shape and size looks like they are considering hosting it not all clowns snuggle right into a nem to host but rather just hover around it

in the wild clowns use nems as a protection from preditors and in turn they tend to bring food back to the nem to feed on

so sometimes you may need to actually scare them into the nem if you really want them to host it
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

No, just hovering. I haven't been able to see where they sleep at night cause they are very active until all lights except the moonlights go out. I work most of the day in the living room on the computer next to the tank so my night-vision is usually shot by that time (big bright iMac display). I'll try to scope it out more this evening though.
    Thanks for the input!
    Kermit, Emerald Crab

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.som View Post
    No, just hovering. I haven't been able to see where they sleep at night cause they are very active until all lights except the moonlights go out. I work most of the day in the living room on the computer next to the tank so my night-vision is usually shot by that time (big bright iMac display). I'll try to scope it out more this evening though.
    Thanks for the input!
    wait till like an hour or two after lights out and use a flashlight on the tank to scope it out. wont bother the fish to much, i do it all the time to see whats going on in the tank at night.

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy695 View Post
    honestly I have heard clarkies like carpet nems or bta but condie is similar to a bta in shape and size looks like they are considering hosting it not all clowns snuggle right into a nem to host but rather just hover around it

in the wild clowns use nems as a protection from preditors and in turn they tend to bring food back to the nem to feed on

so sometimes you may need to actually scare them into the nem if you really want them to host it
    Sorry, I didn't see your post until after I had replied to EMUreef.
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just do some observation and see what happens.
    Kermit, Emerald Crab

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    wait till like an hour or two after lights out and use a flashlight on the tank to scope it out. wont bother the fish to much, i do it all the time to see whats going on in the tank at night.
    Ok, sounds like a good idea!
    Kermit, Emerald Crab

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

no need to apologize but yea I agree with emu watch them they may already be sleeping in or under the nem
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then