[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Another Stupid Clown Question?

Bookmark and Share

Default Another Stupid Clown Question?

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I keep reading about not putting differant kinds of clowns together and if more than one put them in at the same time. what about the black and white clowns at saltwaterfish.com, that site says they like to be in groups? is this wishfull thinking and also what about the fire clown or red saddleback whatever you want to call it. it hardly has the clown markings at all, is there a chance it would not have a problem in a 150 gallon tank with other clowns?#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Fisherman- I know i\'m the bad guy, But they taste so good. Hey, Conservationist as well, trying to help keep FL waters habitable.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

You can put a small group of a particular spp of clowns in a larger system w/ an anemone large enough to house them all. It's frowned on to mix diff spp.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

tigersax7 - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Reptoreef is right it is highly frowned upon to miz differet clowns....but you can have groups. one tip is to have the previously metioned annomie but you should introduce the group at the same time this helps to prevent older pairs from establishing their terrortory (sp). In addition if they all happen to allbe juviniles theyareless likely to be aggresive toward each other and you may end up with a few mated pairs.Hope this helps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    only the finest in gehto reef technology ~

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, So I have 2 clowns in 2 tanks, Unfortuantly im terring downboth tanks and making one tank, One tank is only a 20 gallon and I have a false perc in that tank. Next is my dads tank and he just simply doesnt want the saltwater stuff So im taking over and putting all that i want into my 42 gallon, But in that tank I have 1 saddle back (The female died unfortuantly) would I be able to mix them both? I know they may fight but if I have say 2 anemonys and alot of hiding spots would they be ok? Thanks for the help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not to shue on that one ...I will say that I once had a falce perc in with a 4 stripped damsel (a fish related to clowns) and the damsel was very dominant toward the clown to the point wher he kept the clown coraled into a smal section of the tank. It is possible that the saddle back would exsibit simmilar behavior towad the falce perc. Some caution would be advised in mixing the two. On the other hand I have heard of people getting diffrent species of clown to inter breed thus making hybrids, if your two clowns are still young enough they might mate, Im not to sure about the saddleback but I do know that the falce perc is hermaphidict (sp) and can change sexes in a single sex inviroment. Well just some things to consider.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well at the moment the saddle back is small. There was 2 of them but the female just dissapered one day so I've got the old male left and hes alot smaller than my perc. My perc is about 2.5-3 inches, So I would asume not to shure though that the perc would be more territorial! But im not to shure. Thanks for the help though#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sounds like your false perc is still pretty young being only 2.5-3 inches a full grown adult will be more like 3.5-4...Im to to sur about the saddle back but I havent had any trouble with my false percs beign teriorial (sp)...well I cant say for sure eather way either they will get allong famously or they will hate each other...the only thing that will tell is to try it...but be warned if they have trouble one may have to go.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

ok this is an old post but i have to ask to pros..... false perc and a true perc can they co-exist in a 75? I have seen a large number of different clowns in a large say 200 gal tank but is this too small to house these 2 different clowns
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have a small perc and tomato that co-exist,although as the Tomato becomes dominate and changes to female,i will probably have to remove 1 of them.Usually,clowns are most aggresive to there own species so sometimes u can get away with 2 different species in the same tank,although just 1 of each species and its not guarranteed that they will get along.