[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ANY BLUESPOT JAW FISH OWNERS

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default ANY BLUESPOT JAW FISH OWNERS

Looking to hear your personal experience with this fish and pic.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

GREAT FISH!!! great personality but they will move sand... want to make sure and have a deep sand bed. and hope he makes his home where you can see it... pretty territorial around their lair but beautiful fish but they will rearrange your sandbed ALOT!!!
    fulltankshot 1 - ANY BLUESPOT JAW FISH OWNERS

The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I really, really enjoy Jaw Fish. They have great personality and are so fun to watch. You will need a deep sand bed as previously stated. They do tend to jump if threatened so be sure to have a cover until a den is created. It may be a good idea to add him to your tank at night when the other fish are less active to give it a chance to settle. It will start digging almost immediately. It can take a day or two for it to come out of hiding but in time you will enjoy this fish.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've thinking about getting one. But I have a barebottom tank. I saw a post where someone created a home out of barnicles that their jaw moved right into. I wonder if that would work long term with them?

My LFS has a ton of them in stock right now. Apparently they are "in seaon" this time of year. The price also gets a bit lower on them during this time of year.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Jim,

that would be a crap shoot in a bare bottom... you would want to make sure to have enough "building material" for the little guy... they are allways cleaning house and rearranging. when I had mine about every other morning I would wake to find the whole bottom of the tank re-scaped!!

but personality wise....GREAT FISH!!
    fulltankshot 1 - ANY BLUESPOT JAW FISH OWNERS

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

you would want to make sure to have enough "building material" for the little guy
    I never considered a jawfish before for that very reason. That would have been a problem to have things rearranged because my tank was so crowded that a jawfish would have invariably used expensive frags as building blocks or caused aggressive corals to get to close to each other. But "thanks" to a kalk overdose last summer, and other various forms of coral attrition , I don't have that much of an over crowding issue any more.

I don't think a whole frag would be used. I guess if it is small enough and just setting on the sand bed anything is possible. Old snail/hermit shells, small rock rubble and lots of sand is the extent of what I have seen moved. Other small debris can be added. Old barnacles look really cool if they happen you grab one. However, if you have a deep sand bed and your LR is sitting on top of the bed for support rather than the floor on the tank, you could have a cave in as a burrow is engineered.

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

Beautiful fish to have with a great personality! Beware that they are jumpers though.

Here are some shots of the jaw from my nano tank back in '07:

CR DSC 3690 - ANY BLUESPOT JAW FISH OWNERS

Man, I am so tired of smiling for that camera all the time!
    CR DSC 3708 - ANY BLUESPOT JAW FISH OWNERS

Yawn!
    CR DSC 3701 - ANY BLUESPOT JAW FISH OWNERS

Great photos....

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

I had three of them in a 180 and they were the most interesting things in the tank as far as fish go. Now that I have sand in the tank I pan on getting at least 2 if not 3 of them again. Nothing beats them IMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last