[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anyone dose Garlic?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Anyone dose Garlic?

I bought a Tang today. An Orange Shoulder Tang, and I think I heard someone say that they dose garlic and it has kept their fish VERY healthy. What kind of garlic do you use? I assume it is some fish tank grade stuff, and I would like to start using it. Any advice or thoughts on this garlic stuff would be helpful. Thanks, DIRT
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Dirt i make my fish food and just use the juice from a clove of fresh garlic
    to add to the blend
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

I soak all fresh or frozen food with a few drops each of Kent Zoe, Zoecon, and Seachem Garlic, and have had positive results. I have used bottled garlic juice from the supermarket when I cook dinner for my family, and I think when I use up the Seachem stuff I will buy an extra bottle of the food-grade garlic juice just for my tank. (I'm too lazy to squeeze fresh garlic every time. )

Congrats on your new tang! Post a pic soon, ok?

O tangs are my weakness too, but u know they are prone to ick.Do not treat the problem Dirt, fix the source .As u know u need good parameters and a very stable water temp.Feed him those veggy sheets,and many differant things .STABLE temp is very important.Up and down temp will cause ick faster than u can think.I have lost tangs feeding garlic and running a sterilizer at the same time with a cleaner shrimp too.Still lost the fish too ick.MY problem was a temp swing .When I went to bed my tank would be a nice 80 degrees,when I got up it would be 74-76 degrees .Also try u a slime coat addtive like Stress Guard .When a fish is netted and moved around it is stressed and that affects its slime coat.Kinda like us humans going out all day working with no shirt and no sun screen on when u get in man are going to be blistered .Good Luck.
    Tanked

MedicMike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Ty I just chop up fresh garlic and throw it in a seprate canister and let the juice soak into the flakes... It really seems to perc my perc clowns (pun intended!) but seems to do the fishy wishy good
    " I didn't get where I am today by dressing Like Peter Pan"

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to pick up somg garlic stuff at the fish store and use it for their breakfast in the morning. Temp is not an issue. My temp never swings more than 1/2 a degree with my chiller running. I am feeding the tang the seaweed sheets. He ate about a 3" x 3" square within 2 hours of being put in my tank...apparently his appetite didn't suffer when I bought him! So I think he is going to be fine. He is swimming all over and eatting off the rocks, and picking at the seaweed sheet when he goes by. I am going to do my best to keep ich from ever coming about...I don't want to have to go through that! Thanks again for the advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Wink

. (I'm too lazy to squeeze fresh garlic every time. )

Congrats on your new tang! Post a pic soon, ok? [/QUOTE]

I only have to do that about ever 2 to 3 months i mix the food and freeze it.
    and use as needed
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've used it before.I just took a clove of fresh garlic,sliced it,then put the slices in a container with flake food.

I have always used garlic extreme for my tanks with very good results.i prefer the bottled made for fish because it will not polute the tank or effect the skimmer.if you need any help with foods for your tang feel free to ask i have had great luck with herbivores and have done alot of extencive research when it comes to feeding all fish catigories (carnivore, herbivore ,onmivore and predators alike).in 4 1/2 yrs i have not lost a single fish due to ich

unleashed,
    Feel free to start sharing your info now. I really want to take the best care of this shoulder tang that I can. This is what I have been feeding so far.

In the morning I mix up this breakfast meal for the tank:

1/4 cube frozen brine
    1/4 cube frozen mysis
    14 drops of live refridgerated phytofeast
    1 drop Kent Zoecon
    4 drops Kent Zoe
    2 pumps frozen Cyclopeze
    10-20 drops of Coralive Liquid Gold Pro Plus
    A pinch of Dainichi Reef Veggie FX (baby size, sinking)
    A couple drops of Garlic Juice

I also place a 3" x 3" piece of Green Marine Algea (Natural Dried Seasweeds) in a clip that suctions on the tank wall. The Barred Goby, and Tang seem to be the only ones that eat off the seaweed sheet.

Then in the afternoon sometime I try to do another pinch of Dainishi (not very much at all) and I will crush up one flake of Prime Reef and sprinkle it on the surface.

What do you think of this feeding schedule?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last