[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Banggai Cardinals

Bookmark and Share
    dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Default Banggai Cardinals

My wife saw a picture of these on something, and asked if we could have a couple for our 66 gal reef tank. Currently, we have a Coral Beauty, Yellow Tang, Occelaris Clown, and a Flasher Wrasse - all small in size. Any reason I couldn't / shouldn't / wouldn't put a couple small Banggais in the tank? For some reason, I had it in my head that it was a fish I couldn't have, but I can't see any facts to support that thought in my head...

I just added a T. max clam to the mix as well. If that makes any difference. Thanks for any and all input.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am sure the bangai's will make great tankmates in your tank size and fish list. Just make sure, if you buy 2, you get a pair, or male and female. Oposite sexed cards do not get along. I really like them also. Very pretty black and white fish.

CashFan83 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nathan

I have a similar setup and my bangis (sp?) do fine but chris is right I had the misfortune of getting two males luckily I was able to find a female so the big male quit trying to kill the little one. but the little one stays to his side and hides mostly until feeding time.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Dang its a war!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'd keep an eye on your T.Max with that CB I've been told they are very well known for nipping the mantels. I too am looking to add a couple B. Cardinals. Great choice for a beautiful fish does anyone know how to sex these fish?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CashFan83 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nathan

The LFS I bought mine from did'nt seem to know how, looking at the three and the two that paired off you can tell a definate size diff between the two that are paired, I have had them for 6 months or so, so I don't know if that would matter size whise if they are juvies, they may all be smaller hard to tell. I just know the store I bought them from kept each one in a seperate tank becuase they said if they put them all in the same tank there are too many casualties.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Having done some research last night here's what I found:

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog...ni_020799.html

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

The two I ended up getting APPEAR to be boy/girl, but who knows? They do seem to enjoy each other's company.

My three year old daughter has named them - Striper and Diaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    The two I ended up getting APPEAR to be boy/girl, but who knows? They do seem to enjoy each other's company.

My three year old daughter has named them - Striper and Diaper.
    This answer is from the above link

Sexing Banggais

This is the most asked question I receive, and the one question I cannot answer fully. Even though I have seen over 300 banggaiԳ I am only 50/50 on juvenile animals (animals under 1-1.5inches SVL). When the animals reach sexual maturity (12-14 months), then the jawline takes on a characteristic structure, particularly the male which gets squared off. The second dorsal fin is an excellent characteristic, as the males second dorsal extends past the caudal peduncle, however this flowing fin is often nipped off by other fish. The most accurate sexing method: My best method of sexing banggaiճ is using my establish male [the original male banggai from the article]. I introduce another banggai into his tank and within 10 mins he either is trying to kill him (male) or trying to mate with it (female)...HE IS 100% ACCURATE!!! I have sexed many friends banggai this way. Alternatively you can buy 4 or 5 banggais allow then to reach sexual maturity and they will pair off, and please, please, return the unpaired banggais.