[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

When we lose a fish.

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default When we lose a fish.

Today as with any day I lose a fish is very hard on me. I got up this morning and my lil Clown Goby is gone. My heart tells me she's not just hiding either. Since day one she's always been out and about. Hanging on the Candycane or darting form one end of the tank to the other. Such a joy to watch! But damn! She was just there last night. Doing wonderful too. Many of you will find this hard to believe but I actually want to cry
    I have been keeping fish for more then 35 years. They hold a very special place in my heart. I've always geared my tanks not just for my pleasure but always for what's best for the fish. Outside of their natural habitats that is. I even feel guilty sometimes for keeping them. Thinking this is not where they belong. It's a FEELING thing with me. Today I FEEL that I wont be getting any more fish...
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Sorry to hear about your fish Jamie. I've found this hobby is about life and death and taking the good with the bad. Too often it seems like the bad outweighs the good. Death is inevitable....You did your best to provide it for while it was in your care. I think many species, particularly smaller ones are not that long lived (1-2 years) in the best of circumstances. (I'm not sure of the longevity of yellow clown gobies.)

I'm sure once you get a some time to mourn you will find another friend at your LFS.

I think my mollies will be easier to handle when they pass.
    Likes Badfish liked this post

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Sorry to hear Miz, it's hard when ever we lose one of our fishy friends.

Jim's right on,
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Death is inevitable....You did your best to provide it for while it was in your care.
    Just think of it this way; I'm sure your Goby had a much higher quality of life in your care than it would have had in a fish store's little display cubicle tank or an uncared for, overstocked, and Cyno infested tank.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks for the kind words guys ((Hugs)) it was def a rough day..kept LOOKING in hopes of an, all of a sudden sighting. Looks lonely in there without her lil yellow self. Even took a trip to the 2x LFS just to get away from my tank bought a Turbo snail.....
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I think Jim said it well.My wife takes the lose of livestock hard also.When we came back from Hawaii she found our new dragon wrasse behind the 150.She actually started to tear up.I always considered this kind of reaction of sincerity that seriously dedicated reefers hold for the responsibilty they assume in creating a healthy enviroment for all their livestock.No shame in it all and of course just as in tank crashes it gives you new options and time to reflect on what went correct and what went wrong. then you get to go shopping !!