[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bellus Pair vs Wantanabi Pair

Bookmark and Share
    Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Bellus Pair vs Wantanabi Pair

Thinnking of adding a pair of these angels to the tank. I already have my goldflake and a pair of Multicolored's but wanted to get a genicanthus as well. I love the Bellus Male and Female. The Wantanabe female is sorta boring but the Male is awsome. I wonder if it is possible to do a make of each and one female? Or would the males fight?
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Wow awesome question. Im gonna tag along on this one. Only angel I've ever had was an Ebili Eye.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Both are awsome angels I have a female watanabi I think the blue around the stripes on her head is quite striking. I would love to get a male too. The Bellus are prettier over all but they also get larger so thats what swayed my decision to go with the watanabi. Everything I have heard or read says that they will fight. With as agressive as my female is I am worried to add a male of the same species even. If I were you I would go with the Bellus pair only.

CR Member

Mike, in your size tank you should have no issues establishing two species of Genicanthus. I would push you to add female(s) of both species though, as that would give both males "something to do", and create less of a territorial dispute in case the odd man out decides he wants a lady too!

You should have no issues with your existing angels either, I'm not sure how your pair is but some established multicolor pairs become quite aggressive, however normally only towards other Centropyge.

With that said get them from a very good source, ensure they are eating well and don't have any decompression issues, and QT the heck out of them. They're very commonly imported with decompression issues and flukes, flukes is easy to overcome, the other not so much. Of course, you'll want them to readily accept prepared foods so they can compete with your existing stock.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    I haven't read that they can fight (although I haven't done a ton of reading on these 2 so it is certainly possible)... so if you say you've read it I believe you Jaime.

Either way I like to believe anything is possible and that all fish are different.... why else would I put a passer angel in a reef tank, pretty much everything I have read says NO, but I have seen them in sps tanks so I figured give it a go. The worst thing that can happen (provided you watch them carefully) is that somethings gotta go

If you do decide to just get one or the other I suggest the bellus simply because I like seeing pairs of fish lol
    All fish are different You may get a "model citizen" You may get a "monster" Just sticking with what the reading says. But thats the safe way so can be kinda boring. lol. I do know from watching my watanabi that she is the dominent one in the tank. So I can see some major aggression if another is introduced but that isn't always the rule. I have seen a bellus and a blackspot ( I think thats what its called) in a 20"x20" cube acting just fine. I know the bellus was a female not sure on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post
    Mike, in your size tank you should have no issues establishing two species of Genicanthus. I would push you to add female(s) of both species though, as that would give both males "something to do", and create less of a territorial dispute in case the odd man out decides he wants a lady too!

You should have no issues with your existing angels either, I'm not sure how your pair is but some established multicolor pairs become quite aggressive, however normally only towards other Centropyge.

With that said get them from a very good source, ensure they are eating well and don't have any decompression issues, and QT the heck out of them. They're very commonly imported with decompression issues and flukes, flukes is easy to overcome, the other not so much. Of course, you'll want them to readily accept prepared foods so they can compete with your existing stock.
    +1 on the getting a lady for both gents. lol And on the source too! I am not sure on your tank size but with enough room I am sure you can pull off just about anything Love my female great personality.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post

Guess if I do it I will get a pair of both then and try to coordinate them to go in at the same time.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".: