[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Best Fish for eating Flatworms?

Bookmark and Share

Default Best Fish for eating Flatworms?

Anyone have any experience with fish that will eat flatworms. I have treated my tank and I still seem to get them. I've heard that 6 line wrasses are good and also Yollow coris wrasses. What are your thoughts?

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hi Chris! Did you know that flatworms are not reef enemies, they really are our friends. They eat
    detritus
    and such. You never really see them out unless it's feeding time, or if you peek in your tank at night with your red flashlight! Personally, while working in the tank....remembering I'm all female....I've grabbed a few while searching for a dropped frag or whatever. I scream, do the dance, and Dave laughs his butt off! I wanted everyone of them out of my tank, but Dave (Dakar) has repeatedly told me that they don't harm anything in the reef. He has to be right on this one because I've never encountered any damaged coral. I leave the little ones in there, and the long one's that have been working for a while *you can tell by how long they are...
    ewww
    *, get to move to the retirement home in the refuge. I wanted them dead just like you until I witnessed them eating
    detritus
    . I have one that is quite large that lives in a corner rock, and he keeps his corner pristine clean. It's really the natural life cycle of the reef. I too wish there weren't quite that many in there! Anyway, that's our opinion. Just don't look at them or touch the slimy things! They're harmless! ......Angel :angel1:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

They are harmless until something kills them. Then they ink and release some nasty stuff into your tank. While they do not eat coral the can attach to them and block light from the coral which is why I nuke them. The best fish to eat them is a black leapard wrass. They are hard to find and they don't eat much in captivity. You can also get a slug to do the job. i believe the velvet slug is the one. Some people like flat worms, but IMO i think that the negitives they cause far out weigh the postivies.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Six lined wrasse are known for their beauty and varacious appetite for flatworms and other small inverts.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

That was a long winded anser from me for no reason at all. Sorry about that. I was thinking about bristle worms, not flat worms. Haven't seen any of those in our tanks since we first started out. Now you know all about the slimy bristle worms too! Ewww Have a good night! ...:angel1:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK
    Anyone have any experience with fish that will eat flatworms. I have treated my tank and I still seem to get them. I've heard that 6 line wrasses are good and also Yollow coris wrasses. What are your thoughts?
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~