[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Black Blennie Bully?

Bookmark and Share
    dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Default Black Blennie Bully?

I have had a maxima clam since MACNA was in Des Moines. Approaching two years? I have had a black blennie for perhaps a year longer. Never a problem until now. I have been worried about water chemistry recently cuz the clam has been basically withdrawn for the last ten days. During that time I also had a false alarm with a clownfish. A couple days ago, I noticed the blennie was trying to nip at the clam's mantle.

I have since removed the offending fish.

Any guess why the blennie went rogue? I love that little false eel, and hate to see him moved to the office tank. But yes, I love the clam even more.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I had a hippo tang go nuts and eat 3 of my clams before i found out it was the one doing it. Fish are insane.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Just a follow up...

My clam is back to nearly full display of the mantle. I don't see any issues with it having been nibbled on or any other damage to the mantle. Hopefully, that will be a one time story.

Unfortunately, the ending wasn't as happy for the blennie. I put him in a 34 gallon tank with just two other fish in it - a Clarkii clown with no aggressive history, and a blue/yellow damsel that was once bullied itself. I don't know who was the aggressor, but the blennie was clearly the loser.

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Blennies will often sit on clam mantles in the wild and I cannot see this behaviour as anything other that natural. The clam could also have some residual algal film on its mantle, prompting the blenny to become interested.