[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Can't locate eggs in DT

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Default Can't locate eggs in DT

So this is the 3rd or 4th time my Clowns have laid eggs and they have hatched.

Last night at about 2:30am is when I caught my first 50-75 baby clownfish.

My question is where the heck should I look to see where they are laying them? They really dont hang out and/or clean a rock that I can see... then again I have been at work and school a lot lately so I have no idea.

Does anyone have any good pics of what the eggs looks like on the rock?

Thanks guys

Adam

(BTW... As of about 10hours, the fry is doing well... Im going to go home and suck up what ever is on the bottom and of tank and feed them again and post of the results in this or another thread. In the mean time Im hoping to find some pics of what the eggs look like on the rock.)

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy View Post
    So this is the 3rd or 4th time my Clowns have laid eggs and they have hatched.

My question is where the heck should I look to see where they are laying them? They really dont hang out and/or clean a rock that I can see... then again I have been at work and school a lot lately so I have no idea.

Does anyone have any good pics of what the eggs looks like on the rock?

Thanks guys

Adam

(BTW... As of about 10hours, the fry is doing well... Im going to go home and suck up what ever is on the bottom and of tank and feed them again and post of the results in this or another thread. In the mean time Im hoping to find some pics of what the eggs look like on the rock.)
    To be honest the fry wont survive, all the other fish will eat them. But congrats non the less!

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_p7eWFM_G0AEBWjzbkF/SIG=13bc2a37b/EXP=1281542907/**http%3a//www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/b/sbj4/aquarium/newtank/clownfish-eggs-2-050408.gif[/IMG]

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

There are quite a few pics online if you do a search. I guess they start out orange then turning silver as the mature.

You said you moved them? Alot of people say they put a tile or clay flowerpot near where they hang out and they will lay on it. Good luck.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    To be honest the fry wont survive, all the other fish will eat them. But congrats non the less!

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_p7eWFM_G0AEBWjzbkF/SIG=13bc2a37b/EXP=1281542907/**http%3a//www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/b/sbj4/aquarium/newtank/clownfish-eggs-2-050408.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by cg5071 View Post
    There are quite a few pics online if you do a search. I guess they start out orange then turning silver as the mature.

You said you moved them? Alot of people say they put a tile or clay flowerpot near where they hang out and they will lay on it. Good luck.
    I just did a search and found a bunch of pics.... I will really have to keep a close eye out and do a twice over the whole tank. Like I said, this is the 3rd or 4th time so I know they are for sure laying eggs... Just gotta locate them.

Adam

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

ahh ok you caught them already. i guess i just read over that.

hopefully you end up having some success.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Congrats! I will be following your post, are you taking pictures?

First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Chelle's Ocean View Post
    Congrats! I will be following your post, are you taking pictures?
    I havent yet as this is my first batch and Im doing everything I can to keep the little guys alive, but from reading I do not have high hopes as almost everything I read says most people lose their first couple hatches.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Not sure...have you already gotten a pic of what the eggs look like so you know what to look for?
    You can look here if you want.... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzmP_2b8uw"]YouTube- Clownfish 8/13/2010 Day 1[/ame] mine were laying on the back of a large statue when in the DT, finally found that out and moved them.
    They have changed their location since being added to the biocube (because I moved the rock they initially laid on) They now have laid on the back wall. Is there a way you could move a rock or two in your tank, this may disorient them, then they will locate a new spot and you can see where they stay near the most- that will be your spot. Or have you already found the spot?

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

How are the little guys doing?

CR Member

I raised a few batches using Wilkerson's book. The problem (IMO) is water changes. I did daily water changes using parent tank water. Using newly mixed saltwater is too harsh. Take out about 1/4, then replace with the parent water. Add the new water to the parent tank. I also put a clay flower pot in there, they chose to lay on the inside of it so the night of hatching I could easily move it to the larval tank.

Also, make sure they have TONS of rotifers and you have added enough of the micro so that they water is tinted a light green. The rots eat the algae, and the clowns then eat the rots. If there is no green water, then the clowns are eating empty rots which have very little "food" value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last