[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Clown and Koralia?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    mrs.som - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Clown and Koralia?

So I think my Ocellaris, Creamsicle, has decided to host my Koralia. Hangs around it all day, on the side, on the top or surfing in its stream. I suppose this is because he/she doesn't have an anemone. I just wanna make sure this is "normal", he/she doesn't seem to be sick, still healthy looking and eats well.

Thanks!

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

mine sleeps and hangs around my koralia as well. although he now seems to be hanging out in some mushrooms more often and mostly just sleeps by the koralia now.

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

This is normal behavior .

clowns dont need anemone or frogspawn. They will do absolutely fine with out them .

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

clowns in nature are basically never found without a host, so when they don't have an anemone or something similar they will make due with whatever they find... it may look silly but it's just how they are!

mrs.som - Reefkeeper CR Member

Ok, thanks guys, that eases my mind. I think I will get anemone eventually though, as I feel bad for the poor sucker hanging out around the Koralia all day.
    29 gallon Biocube: Stock equipment, SR3 Skimmer
    Le Frog, Lawnmower Blenny
    The Petries, Clarkii Clowns
    Kermit, Emerald Crab
    Leather Coral, Kenya Trees, Red Mushrooms
    ~More to come as budget allows!~

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

Surprisingly, I have had multiple different types of clowns, and I have never had 1 host anything., I have given them different swaying corals, BTA's, long tenacles nem's, and bubble, the false or true percs never even noticed. The tomato's at least looked at my gifts to them, but then that was it. The clowns seem to just swim at the top of tank near the front glass.
    I like the clowns, but I honestly think they are the dumbest fish I have had. I can put a net in my tank and the clowns would swim into it.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

I was actually laughing last night when I was reading about almost the exact same situation, someone had it 'hosted' in the lock-line for their pump return.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

If you dont want to take care of an anemone, you can try toadstools too. I often read about them hosting those. Our lfs has a pair that do too.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

handlevandal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jacki
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

The nems were wreaking havoc in my 75G even though they were attached to rocks that were isolated. The bigger they got the more 'room' I had to make for them, so you might want to try a nice frogspawn or some xenia. I ended up breaking down my nano and put the nems and the clownfish in there. They're all really happy now and there's nothing stinging the corals in my 75G now.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I just had my bta split a couple of weeks ago. The clown now takes turns with them even though they are about a foot apart.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last