[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Flame Angel?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Flame Angel?

I'm looking for anyone who's kept the Flame Angel successfully within a reef system. Is it worth the risk? I've got one keeper who had a negative experience with coral nipping.

Is there any way to train the fish to leave the corals alone? A substitute maybe? If their nipping they're obviously looking for something within the coral it self.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

i second what chort said, i had a flame for about 8 months untill it died randomly and never nipped at anything.

I dont have a flame in my 90g but i do have a coral beauty and potters angel which are kinda hte same type of angels... they nip here and there but i've never lost anything to them chowing down on a coral. But it is hit or miss, some people have luck some people dont. Sometimes people like hte risk.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

yep I third what chort says lol,as for personal experience I've had two centropyge (dwarf) angels and never had any problems with them in a reef tank.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Older flame angel here, and yes it nipped at polyps. Nope, can't train them away or substitue anything else in their diet.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

The flames are generally considered to be more likely to nip than the potters and coral beauts. I too have a potters and coral beaut and so far no trouble.

CR Member

Everybody has there opinion on tank size. I think it's if your love for the fish outweighs the possibility of having to take apart your tank to catch them if it fails!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

My opinion is a 30 gallon is on the small side for a flame angel. I have seen some of them get to be pretty decent size fish...all of the 4-inches they claim to get, plus they get some girth to them.

A pygmy/cherub angel would probably be okay size wise...but just as likely to nip. I personally have never kept an angel because it wasn't worth the risk of coral loss to me. I've always been more of a coral junky though.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I do like my fish As far as tank sizes it is an opinion I agree~No I wouldn't put a 6" fish into a 30g tank but a 3 1/2-4" I would.

Through much research and asking for opinions here I've learned a lot about these angels. I've also learned that some house them without issues and others have had their corals tore up.

Thanks for the heads up Jim on the Cherub Angel~very beautiful fish and the smallest of the pygmy angels. Behavior the same yes. However it wouldn't take much to remove my rock if needed if she were to become to destructive.

It appears that more then not have had their corals nipped at but not destroyed. Am I willing to risk it, YES!

Thanks for the input every one
    Last edited by MizTanks; 05-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

I have had a cherub for a small amount of time, That would be a good choice for a pygmy Miz
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
    I have had a cherub for a small amount of time, That would be a good choice for a pygmy Miz
    Thank you Redemer I think so too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last