[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Clownfish getting stung by frogspawn?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Default Clownfish getting stung by frogspawn?

Hi,

I have two clownfish, either true percs or oscellaris (not sure), that host a frogspawn (or is more accurate to say the frogspawn hosts the clownfish?). They have been hanging out in the frogspawn for ~6months. I think that the frogspawn may be stinging clownfish as I notice occasional small white or black marks on the sides of the fish. They are not permanent marks, they seem to heal over and disappear with time. I first started to looks for signs that the frogspawn might be stinging the fish after reading on a different forum that someone thought her fish was also getting stung by the host frogspawn. Anybody else here with a clownfish nesting in a frogspawn notice something similar. I am just wondering how common it is, and how serious a threat it is to the fish.

Thanks

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I believe what you are describing does happen. I have seen clowns develop dark spots which seem to come and go. Others have explain that this is from hosting in coral rather than an anemone.

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

I had some clownfish that hosted in a frog spawn. And I swear, they would actually chew or suck on the end of the frogspawn. It was so weird watching them do it. I think they must get high from it. LOL
    I agree with Jim as well.

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by thefishgirl View Post
    I had some clownfish that hosted in a frog spawn. And I swear, they would actually chew or suck on the end of the frogspawn. It was so weird watching them do it. I think they must get high from it. LOL
    I agree with Jim as well.
    That really seems to be strange behaviour for the clownfish. I certainly have never seen mine chew on the frogspawn. The frogspawn is on its way out of my tank. I hope that a small BTA I have will one day be large enough to host the clowns.