[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Cool but never before seen (by me at least) Ptereleotris zebra behavior

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

Default Cool but never before seen (by me at least) Ptereleotris zebra behavior

Hi,

I tried to find some info on the topic, but have had limited success. The part that "sucks" the most is that I caught it on video, but can't seem to figure out how to put up a video on this site. Anyways, here's what happened: I purchased 3 zebra dart gobies (Ptereleotris zebra) about 2 months ago. They've only gotten over their skittishness about 2 weeks ago. I was just watching my tank a few nights ago, and noticed 2 of my three gobies had their heads turn from a pale greyish yellow to a bright yellow within maybe thirty seconds. Also, their eyes seemed to get bigger, though I think it's surely the coloring around their eyes just got darker. They also started holding their pectoral fins straight down like a display. Up until then, I had never even seen those fins. I couldn't quite ascertain if the two "yellow" ones were "fighting" with each other or trying to scare away or show off for the third one who didn't undergo any of these changes. I'm wondering if anyone here has this same fish, and can tell me what they're doing. I'm assuming it's related to mating, but don't even know if these are bred in captivity or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

To show a video, just copy and paste the url into the post. If you are hosting it on a common video hosting service (e.g., youtube), it will automatically embed it into your post.

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

You never go to bed do you Jim haha. Sadly, it's just on my phone so I won't be able to upload it unless I put it on youtube I guess. Thanks for the idea though. I will probably do that and then update this thread in the next few days. Thanks again.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

text it to your email, download it, upload it to here

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

You can't upload a video a CR attachment (i.e., CR isn't set up to host video files). Here is a link showing how on an iphone to get the vid to youtube.

You can use Photobucket to host the vid as well if you have it on your computer already however. Or you use the photobucket app to upload the file from your phone. Once on photobucket you can use the CR Photobucket Utility to get your link (the Photobucket icon in the CR message editor).

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow I gotta see this video.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I believe this is the attraction of Dart Fish, they put on a show at night. I would love to see that video!

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

Okay, here is the video as promised (fingers crossed that the embed works). You can also see what my main tank looks like since I only have my frag tank on the site so far and not this one. Enjoy!

Last edited by jimsflies; 12-18-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    Likes Sir Patrick, WillBattle liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

No one's replied since I put up the video . I'm sure it was because of the holidays, but if anyone has insight on this behavior, please let me know.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sorry no one has answered as of yet. Seems to me the two changing colors are males, showing off for what also seems to be a lone female. Just my .02
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes WillBattle liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last