[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Copperband Butterfly and aptasia...

Bookmark and Share
    Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Copperband Butterfly and aptasia...

Ok, it's common knowledge that a Copperband Butterfly fish will make a quick snack of aptasia, right. Well, there has been incidents of the same fish snacking on other colonial anemones and polyps, too. When the reef trends were leaning towards those beautiful pink tulip anemones, I also joined the band wagon and now, they are all over my tank... damn things are everywhere. Well, guess what... my Copperband has developed a flavor for them(as I hoped when getting him) and the anemones are being controlled. I would rather them stick around as they are really cool looking, but remain cropped by the Copperband. So far, it looks like I may have a decent amount of tulips to keep the Copperband feeling satisfied with his share of anemone snacks and will keep you all posted as to how things progress.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

that is a good thing and a bad thing buddy. I hope he does not get the taste for something else. yeah keep us posted!!!

Greg
    fulltankshot 1 - Copperband Butterfly and aptasia...

Yeah keep us posted, as Im interested in getting one too.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

for all you copperbanded fans, if you can find a fish from Australia as opposed to the Indian Ocean, they have MUCH less tendency (mine had ZERO) to eat polyps of ANY kind (including appies, unfortunately). however, they also tend to take prepared foods much more readily, and as such do better in the long run.

mine was a PITA whenever i fed my Tubastrea in that it would steal the food out of the polyps with its long snout, but never ever touched the polyps.

the Aussie fish command a MUCH higher price than the IO fish, so that's a drawback.

just tossing in my .02...and some eye candy, before he was fattened up.

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Wow..the color is amazing!
    ><((((