[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY Fish Trap?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default DIY Fish Trap?

I'm desperately needing to remove my angel from my tank. Sadly she's taken to nipping at my Favia's and looks as if she took a small bite out of my Acro. I don't want to tear up my tank to get her out. Does anyone have a tried and true DIY fish trap that I could make to catch her?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Fish for it! Really. I removed a 3" domino damsel this way.
    Perhaps you know a fly tier or have a fly shop nearby? Gander Mtn is in Marquette... Ask for a size 32 fly - it's TINY. The hook's point might have a barb that can easily be squashed flat with tweezers. That will be better for the fish.
    Sewing thread can find it's way into the eye of that hook - with some struggle and some luck. But that fly tier might have some 7x line to make it easier.
    Just remember to use tiny bait - that all has to fit in his mouth. Keep the tweezers handy, as you will need them to remove the hook.
    Last edited by dlhirst; 08-06-2011 at 09:12 PM.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I should add - strip all the feathers and thread off the hook. Then, bait it with something like a chunk of frozen food. I used a piece of clam from a local sushi joint. Clam meat is kinda tough and stayed on the hook well. It only took a couple minutes, and I had some yummy mirugai after!

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I take a clar plastic 1 liter soda pop or drinking water bottle, or larger if its a bigger fish, and cut the neck off just large enough the fish can swim through. I then cut down a little further where the neck flares out the size the main body of the bottle, invert that piece so it sticks into the bottle backwards and glue it in place.
    I then tie a length of monofilament fishing line to a hole I punch in the lip of the bottle long enough I can pull on it from a distance so I don't have to scare the fish.
    Stick their favorite food or snack in the bottle and go fishing. I have removed even the most stubborn fish in this manner although you may trap a few others first along the way.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I also use plastic bottles with the top cut out and inverted. Stop feeding the tank so the fish gets more hungry and less wary of going in the trap.

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

I'm a huge fan of the fish bottle method also. However, I don't glue the top on the bottle. I just invert it, and in it goes with some food in it. That way it's easy to take the top back off once the fish goes in.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Never had any luck with glue or friction...I punch a couple holes in the sides and then use wire ties to secure the top on...I just have to nip them off to get the fish out.