[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Fish Food

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thumbs up Fish Food

What do you feed your fish? Please name brand and ingredients and why?

Pellets?

Flake?

Frozen?

Other?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Fishgeek88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

I feed a bunch of stuff. For the FO I feed Ocean Nutrition Spirlina Flake, Spectrum Pellets, Hikari Mysis, and Nori. I feed the Blue Spot Ray squid, shrimp, and shark formula.

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

I use the Aquadine Duraflake in the bulk food area of Preuss's (Aquadine.com). This food is not the thin flake food that is normally sold, but more resembles a dried flattened pellet. I feed 9 out of 10 days, crumbling it in the tank. The 10th day (or there-abouts), I feed some home-made frozen food that the club made up.

I usually mix the Duraflake in a 1:2:1 ratio of the following (descriptions from the website):

Spirulina Duraflake is an excellent supplement mix for freshwater and marine fish. It will improve the intestinal flora of your fish thereby making them more resistant to bacterial infection. It has natural pigments (Carotenoids, Chlorophyll and Phuycocyanin) to make sure that all the colors of your fish stay bright and vibrant. Spirulina also stimulates production of enzymes that transport fats within the body. This allows your fish to convert fat into PFV (physiological fuel value) or growth rather than flab. The appearance of both fins and skin will often improve with the introduction of Spirulina Duraflakes, and it often enhances successful breeding.

Marine HiPro Duraflake. This formula is recommended for young rapidly growing marine fish and carnivores. For omnivorous fish, a combination of 50% Marine HiPro Duraflake and 50% Spirulina Duraflake is recommended. Because marine fish live in an environment high in minerals, a mineral supplement is not added to these feeds. Leaving out the minerals can actually reduce stress on your fish. as they would otherwise have to excrete the unneeded minerals.

Veggie Duraflake is formulated from a variety of nutritious plant ingredients including marine algae and spirulina. It is an excellent diet for feeding marine and freshwater fish, especially herbivorous fish that require a high proportion of plant materials in their diet.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I feed pellets most days (occasionally I miss one here and there). I use either New Life Spectrum Marine Formula or Formula One Marine Pellets. I feed a few pellets at a time so each fish gets at least some food. A few days a week I feed frozen food. Either PE mysis, Hikari mysis, San Francisco mussel, Cyclopeeze or the home-made that BeakerBob mentioned.

I stopped feeding flake a few years back as I read that the thin nature of the flakes results in the nutrients quickly being leached into the water and the fish eating nutrient-less food. I don't recall how long it took to leach all of the nutrients but it was short enough to convince me to stop using it. I should note that the flakes BeakerBob mentioned hold nutrients more like a flake due to their thickness.

Tom

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I use pelets and nori algae as the main diet and with some frozen as a treat

oh yea typicaly only feed once or twice a week
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then