[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Fish just die!!!

Bookmark and Share
    voltz7320 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Fish just die!!!

So far my 50gallon setup has had a butterfly, tang, royal gamma, lemon peal angel, and 2different kinds of bubble tip anemones die. They were doing fine and then got up in the morning and they were dead.this has happened over the last couple months. The water test good all the way across the board.the rest of my fish and Corals are doing great though. I have checked the water a couple times a day to see if there are any spikes but the tests are always good. I don't get it there is a large Carpet anemone in the same tank and it is doing good and i know they're allot more sensitive that anything that had died. Any ideas?i can't figure it out

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

it could be that the large carpet is stinging the other residents

they will easily kill bta and many many types of fish

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

also what is your full stock list and aclimation procedure that you use

some fish just don't work if not acclimated a specific way and over a longer time
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

I have a gold stripped maroon clown, six line wrasse, scooter Blenny, fire fish, decorator crab, several snails and crabs,2 sand sifting start fish, Duncan coral, leather coral, several kinds of zoas(some of which i just fragged), and some mushrooms and acans. For acclimation i float the bag while i test my water and ph.when the temp is right i start a drip into the bag to get the fish used to the tank water. Then transfer the fish to the tank with the lights off and never put any off the water back in the tank.i tried testing my rodi water before i add out to the tank but it was fine to.

this is just a guess but I would say chances are good that it is probably the carpet nem

do you feed it if not I would recommend feeding it as if it is hungry it will try and sting anything that gets close enough clowns usually being immune to them

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

I've tried to feed it a couple of times over the last month of so but it just sings the food and then lets it go. I was feeding it silver sides but I'm going to try something live tonight to see if if it Wil east that.

instead of trying something live try some fresh raw shrimp

I have had good luck with nems taking that in the past also it might help to turn the flow down or off during feeding of the nem

now feeding the nem wont necessarily make it not want to sting fish but it is well worth a try

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I'm not sure what the true cause is but I have a couple thoughts...
    1. A slow drip acclimation is key for successful survival. You don't mention a specific amount of drip time. I recommend at least an hour fast drip for fish.
    2. As Tazzy has mentioned the anemone may be stinging them.
    3. Crabs (arrow and potentially the others) may be harassing/killing them.
    4. Are they already sick? If they are cyanide captured from the reef then they are doomed to die slowly.
    5. Your tank is at its fish capacity. The maroon and 6 line are both semi-aggressive and may be picking on the new fish.

I suspect #5 is the most likely. I hope you figure it out soon.

Tom

I usually drip them for an hour or two depending on the fish. All of the crabs i have are just cleaners, I have tried the arrow crabs and they are way to mean for a good reef tank. They have all been healthy for a while and then just die and I haven't seen them getting picked on to much but who knows there is allot that happens in a tank that goes unseen. Right now I'm trying to get rid of the nem and I have an 100 gallon tank that I am working on setting up so I can move everything over to the bigger tank. I am also not going to buy anymore fish from that LFS, all the fish that died were from the same place. The gold banded maroon was also a bad idea but thats what the girlfriend wanted so he will be going away to. I'm testing ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and ph, is there anything else that I need to test for that would effect the fish like that?