[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Fuzzy Dwarf lionfish

Bookmark and Share
    systemfan15 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Fuzzy Dwarf lionfish

I plan on getting 3 percula clowns, an angel fish and a mandarin goby.
    I looked on www.saltwaterfish.com and it says that fuzzy dwarf lionfish
    are not reef safe. And then I went to my LPS and it said that they are
    reef safe. I'm confused..I dont care if it eats my inexpensive
    invertebrates...but I just want it to get along with my fish.
    Steve K.

I had a Lion fish for almost three years before I gave him away and swicthed to a reef tank. During the time I had him I had a small ammount of coral. Sometimes he would sit on soft coral causing it to stay closed. Other than that, I would say they are reef safe. They do eat inverts and small fish. Mine never bothered with hermits or snails but my cleaner shrimp didn't last long.

I had a fuzzy dwarf lion. I had it for about 6 months and I never saw it eat anything. Literally. It ended up wasting away and dying. It wouldn't eat flake or any of the frozen I offered. My wife picked it out and it was a really neat fish while it lasted. Too bad it wouldn't eat.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

I'd say the clown and angel are safe but the goby is a goner. I never kept my lion with one but its just a guess. The Lion, when he gets larger, will be a lazy ambush hunter and the goby is humming around the rocks all day. Plus, my lion moved around a lot after dark. My goby seems to freeze when the lights shut off. I think he will either run into the Lion during the day or the Lion will ambush him at night. I don't know how large the dwarf Lions get but mine was very large when I gave him up. The clown and him lived together fine, even though near the end he could probably have ate her. As for the angel, I dont think he will bother it. They arent mean to other fish...they just eat whatever fits in their mouth.

It took me a few months to get my lion to eat prepared food. Come to think of it, he wouldn't eat food if it stopped moving. If a piece of krill got stuck on some rock he would actually sit their and wait for it to move. It was kind of funny, watching this big dumb fish look at the food while a hermit crab walked up and pulled the krill into a hole in the rock.
    So maybe he wouldn't eat the goby at night. I mean...if it didnt move. I dont know?

120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

It kind of sounds like a fussy fish that would be great if you feed other fish in your tank a similar diet, have fish all of the same temperment or...

Maybe add one to a mostly coral tank if it really doesn't harm your coral. Then you could kind of baby it, and maybe try putting in some tiny guppies at feeding time if you find he likes them. They are cheap and actually will live long enough to entice him to eat. It sounds like a cool fish if you can figure out the perfect balance for him and the rest of your tanks inhabitants. I've always thought it would be cool to have one, but I'm not willing to have a big tank just for one. I had no idea there was a miniature one. It also states that the fish is social with you too! It makes me want one, but we don't have any tanks that he'd work in because of our shrimp and such. Looks like some real pros and cons here. This is how I weigh it out for myself & also read a bit more about the fish itself. I hope maybe some of my thoughts help you in making a decision.
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

systemfan15 - Reefkeeper CR Member

thanks guys! when the time comes...im gettin him lol.
    Steve K.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

The law says that when the time comes you have to share pictures and any and all info you learn about the species :-D
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

mine is kept with a clownfish,one sccoter dragonet,2 hermits,and a banded coral shrimp and nothing has gone wrong yet,but its still pretty small. Like i said in my topic my clownfish will even lie on the lion.

You could keeping one,just don't get stung it fricken hurts.