[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Got Babies? H. Erectus Fry

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... Last
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Got Babies? H. Erectus Fry

I got babies.....The LFS I work at called me this morning. They were frantic since they do not know how to raise them. I've never done it either, but...... Let the insanity begin, lol.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

WOW looks like you gotyour hands full, best of luck to you. keep us posted to how they do!!! That is fantastic
    fulltankshot 1 - Got Babies? H. Erectus Fry

I have been reading and I "thought" I was pretty well prepared should "my" seahorses start breeding. I figured I have 2 weeks to get prepared. I got about 15 Mins. OK....I need help. Everything I have read just flew out of my brain now that I actually NEED the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea~Horse~Whisperer View Post
    Everything I have read just flew out of my brain now that I actually NEED the info.
    It always seems to happen that way, doesn't it?
    Congrats on all those cute lil babies!!! :binky:

Sad to say, I don't think I got to the LFS in time to save them. 99% of them are "floaters". In order to keep them off of the surface, I have to keep the bubble wand on max flow. The problem with that is they can't hitch because they are getting tossed around in the high flow. They injested too much air in the tank at the LFS before I got them out of the tank. I hate to say it, but there's no way they will beable to eat with the water flow that high. I wish DavidP or Renee would chime in here. They have first hand experience with this sort of thing. Not to say the rest of us haven't done the research, because many of us have. Reading about it, and actually doing it are miles apart.

Angie

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

What kind of fry are these Angie? Is that little guy on the far right upper corner hitched? Is he is I am going to guess these are erectus. Erectus collected from the northern waters tend to go through a pelagic stage. How did you transfer them? Underwater or did you bring them outside of the water. Are you bubbling BBS?

Renee

Yes, they are erectus. I transferred them out of the tank using a cup. They were not exposed to air at all during the transfer. I started the e-z eggs this morning. (decapped and hatching) I have not culled out the floaters yet. I will wait a day or two and see if any of them recover. I'm thinking maybe after they get a few bbs feedings.

Some of them do hitch....they just don't stay hitched. I did lower the flow in the tank. I took out the bubble wand and I'm just using rigid airline (no stone) in the back 2 corners of the 5.5g. They are so darn cute!

Thanks Renee.....any help is appreciated.

Angie

Default More pics (hitching)

Here are few more pics I just took. They are hitching more often now. They don't stay hitched, but they are trying.

Sorry they are blurry. Seahorse fry are NOT the easiest thing to photograph, lol.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... Last