[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Got fry 3....

Bookmark and Share
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Got fry 3....

And they are off.............

Sometime around this comming Saturday I should have fry from this pair. I'm ready. Kreisel tanks are setup and running with a HOB filter that I had on the parents tank for about 2 months just for the this purpose. (good bacteria in the fry tanks) I'm using the plastic drum style fish bowls as kreisels in a 10g tank. I have hatching decap. BS and green water cultures to grow out the BS as needed ready to go.

AS IF that wasn't fun enough, I have another pair that did an egg transfer on Sunday (10/21/07) so I should have another batch of fry due about 1 week after this batch. If they follow true to timing I could quite easily have fry every week since each pair can breed every 14 days. I only have 4 kreisel bowls so I need to order more. I have 4- 10g tanks. (2 kreisels fit in each one) I will try to post some pics of the preggo daddy's.

Default mommy and daddy of fry due 10-27

mommy and daddy of fry due 10-27

Default mommy and daddy of fry due 11-4

mommy and daddy of fry due 11-4

Daddy 1 is due tomorrow. Yeah!! He may or may not have them on time though. Since I keep the tank temps cooler with the chiller he may hold them a little longer. That's good, they will be bigger and stronger then. On the other hand it would be nice if he had them on the weekend so I had a day or two to take care of the fry before having to go to work.

I started the first BS hatcher today. I will start another tomorrow morning and every
    12 hrs. after that to keep them "newly hatched" for the first week or two. Then I will start to grow them out to 2-3 day old bbs enriched with algaemac and super selco. I have a green water culture bubbleing away to grow the BS to adults in for when the fry get older. I have a 32g brute container full of aged and airrated SW and a 32g brute container of fresh RODI water. That should take of the water changes and top offs for a week or more. I wasn't comfortable shutting off the pumps, so I covered the overflows with a fine screen mesh. Just in case daddy decides to have the fry when I'm not looking. I do NOT want to be digging fry out of the sump or having them get sucked up into the return or chiller pumps. The sump is a scary place for fry.

I also bought 2 - 16 oz.flat packs of the hikari mysis. I will be sure to get these fry onto frozen asap. I usually buy the cubes but the cubes only come in 3.5 oz. pkgs. @5.99 each. The 16oz. flat pack is only 13.99. I will be buying it in the flat packs from now on.

I will post baby pics as soon as I get them

Default FINALLY

Ok my male held the fry longer then expected (this happens when the tank temps are lower) After an extra week of waiting an watching.......they are here!!! Ok the first 5 are here, lol. He's still in labor and having a not so easy time of it. They are comming 1 at a time and he is a little stressed out. This is his first batch, so I'm not sure how long it will take to deliver the entire batch. I do have video and pics that I will post later. My other males that gave birth were much quicker then this. They were all born within a few twitches from the male. Hmmmm maybe it's just because it's his first batch. Poor guy is a big a house. I wish I could help him

I'll keep ya posted.

Angie

He had them all......I lost count :banghead::bricked: so I can't tell you how many there are. Daddy and his mate are courting as I type. Go figure. I'm redoing the fish room to make more space for the kreisels that I will be needing in the next couple of weeks. I'm also making a trip to La Crosse in the morning to get more tanks. I will need them. I'm ok with the 10g's for the kreisels, but I need a few more grow out tanks. I'm looking at the 20gXH tanks. Not sure if I'll beable to find them though. I forgot how to post videos on this site. Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Angie

Well, the first batch of fry are 1 month old today. Their first feeding in the morning will have a suprise in it. Cyclopeeze freezer bar!!! I figure 1 week of the cyclopeeze and then I will feed live adult enriched brine shrimp w/ cyclopeeze for a week. Next will come the frozen adult brine shrimp, then I switch to frozen mysis. The last case of Hikari mysis I got has very tiny mysis in it, so that's a good thing this time, lol.

That's how I got my last batch to take frozen mysis. I tricked them into it.

Angie

Little brats will not take anything but bbs. They are still small so I will keep trying.

I got a new batch of fry today. I give up trying to count them all. This fry every 3 weeks or less is a pain in the butt! I swear I'm never going to stop hatching brine shrimp. I have to figure out a better way to raise them. The death rate is much too high. I'm getting about 10 out of every 100 past the 1 month point. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm getting frustrated that's for sure. I would expect that by now I would be getting higher survival rates. I've been reading and rereading the prop. and rearing threads on the org and I can't see where I'm doing anything different.

Oh well.... at least I'm getting some to live. I'll post pics of the new ones when I get time. It's 2 am and I'm off to bed.

Angie