[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Hawaiian Ornamental Fishing Ban Passed Hawaii County Council 6-2

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Hawaiian Ornamental Fishing Ban Passed Hawaii County Council 6-2

I haven't seen anyone here discussing this: Hawaiian Ornamental Fishing Ban Passed Hawaii County Council 6-2

What are your thoughts about this resolution?
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

It appears to be only 1 of the islands. Not sure though.

First Name
    Tal

Here is a link to the actual resolution: http://records.co.hawaii.hi.us/Webli...951/Page1.aspx

It is a lot to understand, at least for me, but worth reading. Pay particular attention to the definition of "aquatic" life in section 1. It pretty much rules out captive breeding. Keep in mind that at this point it is a non-binding resolution but it sets a dangerous precedent for future legislation.

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

It appears that the main goal of this bill is to support the tourism industry which is one of the top dollar generating industries for the state of Hawaii. Oddly enough, sport fishing is not included in this bill which can be equally damaging to fish populations, but might be regulated under another set of bills and brings in tourist bucks. Unfortunately, they do not cite specific species (like yellow tangs in some areas) that have been over-exploited by the reef aquarium industry in Hawaii nor do they cite specific studies that implicate the pet trade as the source of the negative impact on fish populations. In some ways I could see a bill like this one coming down the tracks as the popularity of reef-keeping has increased dramatically in the last few years. Hard to say what the effects of this bill will be to our future--take better care of your fish and step up captive breeding where feasible.....Jim Z.

First Name
    Tal

First Name
    Tal

More from Ret Talbot: MASNA Blog - Why We Need Science-Based Management of the Marine Aquarium Fishery in West Hawai'i

FYI, Ret will be speaking at the Midwest Marine Conference on November 5th.

First Name
    Tal

From Bill Crook, one of the local fish collectors in Hawaii:
    "Our fishery is very simple but very complex and to be clear, I am a diver on Oahu. I have very little connection to the Big Island. That is a totally different fishery.

The simple parts: Aquarium fish reproduce very quickly and with high volume compared to most other fisheries. There are lots of fish on the reefs. The fishery on Oahu is thriving. There really is no problem on Oahu, just some radicals trying to "save something". So there is no real problem...

The complex parts:
    Complexities like slow reproductive years for some fish, then a few years later reproductive rates off the charts. The devastation of the habitats from urban runoff, military/commercial (tankers etc.) destruction, and of course hurricane damage. These issues appear to be straight forward but it is not something that can be documented very easily. And if there is no documentation then, legally it never happened.

People that are not directly diving the reefs on Oahu all the time can probably never fully understand what is really going on. It would be like me telling you what you "should be doing" at your job and how you "should be doing it". (I can only imagine how many times Ret is smirking to himself with my journalism skills). haaaaaa
    The politicians (for the most part) do not know anything about an aquarium. Most probably couldn't pick a moorish idol out in a lineup. But we have to explain to these politicians what we do, and how we are not evil people ruining our ocean. While the Snorkel Bob's of the world can come in and say whatever they want because the politicians don't know any better.

One of the most frustrating things for us over here fighting SB is when open threads have posts from hobbyists saying they should shut us down and all fish should be captive bred anyway. It is a real "stab in the back" feeling coming from the people that we are trying to supply. So I would like to say a great big THANK YOU to Ret for helping to explain to the world that we are not evil, reefs are not being destroyed, fish are being collected sustainably."

Sun357 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Fred
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Ret's speech was great about this topic. Such an ignorant ban to put through in general when you look at the factual numbers.

~Fred
    Likes jimbo liked this post

First Name
    Tal

Quote Originally Posted by Sun357 View Post
    Ret's speech was great about this topic. Such an ignorant ban to put through in general when you look at the factual numbers.

~Fred
    I'm glad you were able to hear Ret talk about this important issue.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am wondering what the idea behind the ban is. What is their reason and what do they hope to accomplish?

Has this info been shared? I havntbeen able to keep up on the subject much.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last