[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I like Picasso clownfishes, do you?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    MarvinsReef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    gang of platinums lol.

What do you think the secret is to keeping the aggression down...putting them all in very young together?

Would I have any chance of getting 4-6 of them to live together in a 30 gallon?
    hmmmm.. That's a toughie. I'm not sure if 30g is big enough. I really cannot recommend anything that I haven't tried. I can only detail my journey in order to help future reefers that want to try what I've tried. Better yet, not make the same mistakes I've made. I would like to say it'll work but I'm not even sure if my set up is gonna work, say 6-8 months from now. Right now, things are good though so I'm very happy with the tank. Sorry man, I wish I could've been more helpful. Search Mobert's clownfish/anemone tank and I'm sure it'll help out.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

So what do you think are the keys to helping them not become aggressive? Is it timing and age of the fish? Having a tank full of nems? All of the above?

CR Member

I would say introducing them all together would be a good start. Also, maybe if they were talk mates before. I've had tank mates fight after a reintroduction though... Case in point I ha e two oscars that grew up together from fry all the way up to 9-10"... They were fine but had to move the tank. Confined together, transported together, released together back into the tank. Almost a year later they still fight when they get the urge. Usually ot isn't too major and they lose interest quickly when I toss a few ice cubes in the tank. It's my chill out warning. Also temps can directly effect an oscars aggression so maybe marine fish could be the same? Maybe drop the tank temp 2-3 degrees and observe? Just some experience I have had with aggression never got to try it with damsels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    So what do you think are the keys to helping them not become aggressive? Is it timing and age of the fish? Having a tank full of nems? All of the above?
    - group comes from the same batch so they can establish their hierarchy from the beginning
    - lots of nems or no nems at all
    - feeding on a routine (auto feeder for me)
    - Percs have been found to be more docile than any other clown sp.

** I dunno if having an older clown (2+ years older than the juvis) helped, but she keeps everyone in check.

CR Member

I love the many clowns/ anemone tanks, especially ones with picassos. I have a pair.
    150g 1" acrylic Sps reef mp40 and 4 k4s for flow. Aquaeuro 400 skimmer and 135 calcium reactor. 2 250w radiums on galaxy ballasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwaternoob View Post
    I love the many clowns/ anemone tanks, especially ones with picassos. I have a pair.
    Good deal! Thanks.

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

im more of an occi guy. i like the traditional clown fish look. i had two when i started my tank, but one grew weak and eventually died

but i do still have the survivor, and i pretty much hate him, lol. all he does is bite me and yet i was still kind enough to get him a nem and he wont even go near it. stupid clowns...

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post
    im more of an occi guy. i like the traditional clown fish look. i had two when i started my tank, but one grew weak and eventually died

but i do still have the survivor, and i pretty much hate him, lol. all he does is bite me and yet i was still kind enough to get him a nem and he wont even go near it. stupid clowns...
    Hope the survivor finds the nem. She doesn't know what she's missing. LoL

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post

I think occy's seem to have less of a hosting inclination than percs. But that could be all of the occy's I have had have been captive bred. Even so, it seems like captive bred percs take to nems better.

As circumstances have it, my tank is looking more like Marvins. I received two more clownfish today as part of a trade....I added a onyx and a picasso with my two black ice/snowflakes. So far they are all getting along. But I'm prepared to move them if that changes.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last