[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Jaw Fish Experience

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Question Jaw Fish Experience

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience with Yellow Jaw Fish? I have read good things and recently added one. The little guy burrowed under some LR and closed himself in. I can see him peering out at me and moving around once in a while when I get in real close to inspect through a small crack.

It will be three days since he moved in and he hasn't come out to eat or anything. There isn't even a hole big enough for him to be coming out when I am not around to witness. He did eat right before I brought him home, but going on three days, he must be getting hungry.

Should I just leave him alone? Is this Normal? Should I shut down the pumps and try and target feed him or something?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

he got in there and it is quite possible he'll get himself out...they do make more than one hole so it might be somewhere you don't know about....
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

Well it is five days today and no food for him. The piece of rock that he is under is isolated in the front of the display so chances are I would see a "backdoor". I am going to be patient and let it take its course, but I am concerned for the little guy.

CR Member

He's probably eating pods that you don't see that are in your sand bed. He makes tunnels under your rocks. Try squirting some brine or mysis shrimps in the crack where you can see him. Our shrimp gobie lives under the rocks too and to insure he gets his dinner I squirt the shrimp right into his hidey hole.

He might sneak out at night and forage too.

Give him time to make his home within your tank. He might be frightened by the other fish in your tank.

Hope this helps. Try researching jawfish and just read about other people's experiences it might help ease your mind a bit.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

My experences with them have been limited. I buy they jump out of the tank. =( Silly me I buy more Then jump out (3rd time)
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

He is still in his burrow and doesn't come out. He is in there moving around etc so I know he is still kicking. Still just waiting it out.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I wouldnt worry they are quite the little diggers. if he got himself in there he can get himself out. he is probably eating pods in the tank.

he is probably snug as a bug in a rug in there.
    fulltankshot 1 - Jaw Fish Experience

He is starting to show himself a bit, but at the first sign of movement, he darts back in. Hopefully he will eventually get comfortable enough to show himself with some regularity.

Sounds like he's settling in on his own terms. I have wanted on of these little guys for a long time... it does sound like they are very cautious fish, but they should become comfortable in time. Good luck!

He is doing much better. Still very cautious but feeding daily. He has hollowed out quite the burrow. I am waiting for my Live to come tumbling down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last