[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

When is it time to Euthanize?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default When is it time to Euthanize?

It is breaking my heart to see Dilly wasting away He is no longer even eating the blood worms like he once was. Without him eating there's no way I can even get medicine into him if he does has some sort of internal parasite.
    Today he took one lil worm but yesterday he took nothing. I don't know what to do, I'm so sad, hurt and angry.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm just throwing this out there...but is it possible that you are paying "too much attention" to Dilly? I think of mandarins as being fairly reclusive...as such perhaps he is a self-conscious eater and doesn't like to do it in front of you.

My advice is to let nature run its course, then you can remove the body...although nine times out of ten I never find the body.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree with jim let nature run its course

maby he decided to finally take a taste of the pods in your tank and is eating them
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks guys...this is way harder to watch then I ever thought possible

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Yep, agree. Some things you just can't fix. It could be a cancer or anything that no matter what you do it's its time. Sorry! The best thing you can do is put it out of your mind, know you did what you could and get another.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I'm going to set up a small 5g qt tank. Treatment will consist of Maracyn 2. I've got to know I've done ALL that I could....

It is also possible that while he may eat bloodworms they aren't meeting his nutritional requirements. That combined with the extremely fast metabolism and probably a lack of pods to eat in between your feedings could be leading to starvation.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

My tank has plenty of pods! In the 14wks since I've had Dilly I've seeded tank/fuge with over 3000 pods! Dilly won't touch them!! I sit two feet from my tank and spend at least 8hrs a day watching him off an on. He has NEVER even so much as pecked at a pod. They're on the LR/Glass/SB. Ocean pods/Tigger pods/Tisbe and Amphipods. My fuge is loaded also. This fish is NOT normal. He never perches. He hoovers most of the time, except for at night where he then rests right in front of a swarm of tigger pods. Which he totally ignores.
    I've tried just about every food I can acquire.
    There is NOTHING in my tank that competes with him for food. He literally sits in front of the glass, which is covered with pods and ignores them, or he just don't see them or more likely he don't know what to do with them.
    Last edited by MizTanks; 08-08-2012 at 04:12 PM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I'm going to set up a small 5g qt tank. Treatment will consist of Maracyn 2. I've got to know I've done ALL that I could....
    So much for my suggestion...

I don't see a good outcome with putting dilly in a small un-cycled qt tank and medicating him. But I hope you prove me wrong.

I think mandarines eat the smallest of cocopods...basically difficult to see without a magnifying glass. Is it possible the variety you have aren't the ones they normally go for?

estanoche - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joanne
    Awards Tank of the Month - March 2012 Tank of the Month

is all I have to say... I'm sure Dilly is appreciating all your efforts though!
    SAY NO TO FISH STICKS - Put screened and vented lids on your tanks, and save your wrasse

Current tank: 80 Gal XXL Reef & 25 Gal Cube QT

Friend me up on FB too!
    50201061558882069332143 - When is it time to Euthanize?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last