[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Live Brine Shrimp

Bookmark and Share
    zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Live Brine Shrimp

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, I have a brine shrimp hatchery in my basement and i was wondering, because these little guys are alive when i put them in the tank, is it ok to over feed? The extra ones will just get into the live rock and get picked off by my manderine right?? HELP!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

CR Member

I wouldn't do it,some may survive but most will probably be sucked into your filter and die.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

The biggest problem is there is nothing specific in the reef to brine shrimp to feed on, so the excess will die off if not consumed. I'd just keep on feeding no more than will be readily consumed.

BTW how big of a hatchery do you have set up?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is 3 gallons, and it works well! My percs love them and so does the goby! but i guess i should slow down on feeding.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

All of my fish love brine shrimp, but I agree on the overfeeding end of it. I feed brine shrimp as a treat once or twice a week, but do my best to never over do those feedings. It sure can make for a grimy tank if you filter doesn't clean up the rest of the ones that die, or you don't have a real good clean up crew. Our sea cucumbers do one heck of a job keeping things clean along with the filters, snails, and serpent star & brittle star. I think it's a matter of finding the right balance for your tank and it's inhabitants. Dakar and I have considered buying a brine shrimp hatchery but would like more of the pro's and cons of having one. Thanks for posting about your hatchery. It maybe helped someone that has one and may be having problems, or helped us to really think it over and see if it would be a good investment.

I see you are still using the default "newbie photo" along with your name. You've been here a while now. Pick out a good picture that fits you and put it up instead. Whoyah (one of the members of the CR Team) worked hard on putting together some pretty nice avatars for people to choose from. Go into your profile near the bottom of the page, and click on "choose an avatar from the gallery". if you have a picture that you really like and want to use, you may do that as well! :-)
    You're no longer a newbie to Captive Reefing, that's for sure!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There! i am no longer a noob! lol. How small do i have to make one of my own pictures to make it the avater?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

100x100 pixels... haven't gotten the board set to automatically resize images for the avatars yet, but should have it done this week.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.