[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mandarin dragonet

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    systemfan15 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Mandarin dragonet

Hello, I have several questions on mandarin dragonets. First of all I would like to start out by saying I'm a beginner at this. Secondly although I love the looks of the mandarin's, I DO NOT WANT ONE....my girlfriend does...HAHA. So now that that is out of the way, how exactly should I care for the fish? According to tropical fish hobbyist, they shouldn't even be kept in captivity (my gf doesn't care...lol) and to extract these fish, they are harmful to the reef. Why is the mandarin so hard to care for? Is it because of the lack of food it eats, or does it just not survive in captivity? Also, how does the extraction of these beautiful fish destroy the reef, and what process do the "capturers" use? Any answers to my numerous questions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.
    Steve K.

They're difficult to keep because they're very specific with what they eat, and most of them won't eat frozen foods. They prefer live pods to eat, which usually means that you need a larger tank with lots of live rock. Do NOT get a mandarin unless your tank has been set up for a while, most people will say at least a year. Also, your tank should be teeming with pods (usually you can see them at night) and you'll probably want to have a fuge for pod reproduction.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's probably not in the best interest of the fish unless you have the right setup for it.

Regarding harvesting practices, some collectors use chemicals on the reefs to stun the fish so that they're easier to collect. I'm sure someone else can chime in as well.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

So, if I turned off my light right now, and shined a flashlight in my tank I would see the pods?
    Steve K.

I turned my day light off and turned on a blue light and i dont see anything.... i was gettin excited
    Steve K.

Check your tank a few hours after the lights are off. Then you'll see all sorts of things that you didn't know were in your tank.

Just be forewarned, if you've got pods and stuff, you'll find yourself checking out the tank all the time in the middle of the night.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

labman - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Stand your ground!

YOu two will kill him he will die in a very short while it's that simple. a great way to find out if a lfs is any good is ask them if you should put a mandarin in side your new tank if he says yes then never never trust them one of two things they either don't know anything or they are lair's.. either is not good.. Mandarin's need a tank with about 75 pounds of live rock that
    has been up for a good year..talk her into a lawn mower blenny instead I love mine he scoot around the rock all day eats anything I put in and oh yeah eats algae.. if you really insist on meeting her whim then you will be making at least weekly trips to a lfs that sells live co pods.. or buying them from local reefers.. just tell her the Mandarin will not live it's that simple chances are the fish store will tell her the same thing.. you also need a very stable tank mandarin's don't like change..

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would agree. Mandarins require a very established tank with a ton of pods. I had a scooter blenny which are pod hunters, and he basically ate himself right out of food after a couple months. Its best to pick something else that is easy to take care of.

It's a good start admitting that you're new and asking for advice. The next step is having the self-control to only attempt what you're ready for at this time. Do your homework. Researching this fish (and showing what you find to your girlfriend) is a must. Few people can care for such a delicate creature... It's not fair to the fish at all. I know mandarins can be purchased fairly easily... I've seen one at my LFS just about every time I go in there. The thing is, if people keep buying them, the stores will continue to stock them.

Here is just one site that gives a good explanation:
    "[Mandarins] have one of the most dismal survival records of captive marines. Almost all perish within a month of wild capture... most often due to simple starvation."
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mandarins.htm . If you look, you will find many more articles just like the one above...

If your girlfriend refuses to listen to the advice of more experienced people, get her thinking about how upset she will be when the fish dies... is it worth the heartache?

I love my Mandarin!!! I have a Green Mandarin, I have had him for almost a year. The trick is to do the light check and your looking for tiny shrimp like guys. If you don't have them yet go to the pet store and ask the people there if the live rock they have have Copepods that is the name of the tiny shrimp. If you are determined to get one for your Girlfriend you can buy Copepods online and have them shipped to you. Mandarin's also might eat the little tube worms that are all over most tanks in the sand.
    They are so beautiful hovering all over the tank!!! I say work on getting some Copepods and get one.

Ok, well I'm not getting one, she does like the scooter blennys, she'll be a little upset but I'm sure she will understand. I haven't even done this for a year and I dont feel confident I can keep up with the mandarin. Thanks for the help
    Steve K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last