[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mandarin Dragonets fighting

Bookmark and Share

Default Mandarin Dragonets fighting

I have a pair of Mandarin Dragonets and tey are fighting they have only been together for a few days. I sexed them using a few different peoples opinions about spines and size. They did ok at first then argued over food once but now I caught the "Male"(long spine) biting the other. Is this normal and they will be fine or?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Interesting. Here are my thoughts...

1. Two males. One with a damaged spine.
    2. Breeding behavior.

I have no idea which it is or if it's something else completely. If you could post pics of both of them perhaps folks could chime in on sexing them... though I know getting pics of mandarins is not easy.

Tom

I will try to get pics up. But the larger has a nice long spine and the smaller has a very small (tiny) spine.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

How long have they been together?

WillBattle - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Will
    Awards Photo of the Month

Without pictures, or a quick video of there interactions together it is hard to say. However when a friend and I introduced my female and his male dragonet, to his 120g gal, they got along quite well. The male, noticing her pretty much right away when she was added came up to her, fins flaring, but never nipping her, after showing off his fins to her for a few minutes or so, he put them down, and followed her around for a few hours. Now, they interact mostly at dusk/night, with a mating dance here and there, but besides that, they ignore each other mostly. From what you discribed it does seem like they are two males, one just has a damaged spine. ( from what I am told this happens quite often with shipping multiple males together) I posted a thread and video a month back or so, of my friends pair doing their 'dance' at dusk, if you are interested in viewing that

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by WillBattle View Post
    Without pictures, or a quick video of there interactions together it is hard to say. However when a friend and I introduced my female and his male dragonet, to his 120g gal, they got along quite well. The male, noticing her pretty much right away when she was added came up to her, fins flaring, but never nipping her, after showing off his fins to her for a few minutes or so, he put them down, and followed her around for a few hours. Now, they interact mostly at dusk/night, with a mating dance here and there, but besides that, they ignore each other mostly. From what you discribed it does seem like they are two males, one just has a damaged spine. ( from what I am told this happens quite often with shipping multiple males together) I posted a thread and video a month back or so, of my friends pair doing their 'dance' at dusk, if you are interested in viewing that
    I've got a female, and I'm thinking of getting a male. She's been in the tank for around 2-3 months doing great. Any advice? Should I or shouldn't I. The last thing I want is for them to fight.