[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

This May Be The End

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I think I read his write up most of a year ago, so I am guessing that date is accurate. Perhaps it was from another source, but the gyst was the same. Sea Shepherd has been in Hawai'i for a while, for sure.

I am not what you would call a hard-core environmentalist, but I must say I am a little torn on this topic. If I can support them in their fight to stop Japanese whaling (and I do), where/when do I draw that line for other species? The marine aquarium trade really needs to become proficient at aquaculture for all species. The sooner, the better! We can all help to support that by buying captive bred fish. Reef fishermen might want to work on (captive) reef farming for the future.

I will add though, if fisherman are upsetting the ecological balance, I have to believe that scuba divers are (perhaps) equally. And, you don't hear about Renee and Bob asking for a moratorium on diving...

I appreciate your efforts to bring attention to the fight Tal. However "the end" is pretty hyperbolic. No court in the country would rule against an entire industry due to the random actions of one individual. The video is pretty suspect as well. This might be the easiest video ever to fake. I have no way to tell if the "attacker" is her friend or foe. Authentic or not no court would allow such a video as evidence of why we should close fishing. The argument is whether or not fishing for aquarium subjects is sustainable or harmful to the environment. The argument is not whether or not we should stop fishing because a fisherman might be a jerk.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I think it's important to understand a few things that are being over played. First and most important at 50' she was never in real danger. She easily could ascended at any rate to the surface without any concerns of a safety stop or worries of getting the bends. Every diver is trained to do this in the event if you run out air. At the depth of which this accrued the collectors easily could see what they we're doing at the surface and probably have been harassed often by them. I have dived all around Kona and doubt seriously they we're that deep. By appearance 35 to 40 at the most. The activist involved in the "WAR" as Bob and the Shepard people call it is getting blown way out of whack! I know many divers in Kona,my Parents live just north of Kona so we visit and dive and snorkel the island every year. Most people are seeing them as unwanted visitors who are willing to do whatever they can to serve or prove their agenda correct. There is even an effort to legally control the number of dive outfitters which if it happens would send Bob packing. With all that said it is important to see merit in tightening the laws on collectors ,there are people who kill hundreds of fish simply because they are either uneducated on how to keep the livestock or simply don't care about anything but making a quick buck. Hawaii already is very serious and aggressive at protecting its reefs and everything in them. Their has been a very serious decline in the schools of fish around the islands. This is more due to climate change and pollution then just one industry. If one industry is to blame the most it is the industrial fishing boats that can catch 30 tons a day!!The tourist snorkel and dive industry shares in this decline also. I can't even count the times I have seen people in the shallows tromp ,stomp ,smash and pull out coral. Snorkel Bob has been his own worst enemy for years. Everyone shares the burden of what is going on in our oceans. The biggest issue with Snorkel Bob and people like the Shepard group is they only see one perspective and refuse to debate or listen to anyone else. Bob is really bad on this character flaw. Many real marine biologist have tried to see his side and in review have found more flaws and flat out lies then merit. I have never been afraid to voice my disgust of Bob and the Sea Shepard cult. Honestly watch that show. He should be arrested for endangering those people's lives. Yes this is going to go on for awhile,the news people need the ratings. The Hawaiian government will settle this out in the end it may not be to everyone's likeing but will most likely be a compromise of both sides. If the sea Shepard cult and whiner Bob really want to help the oceans they should get people to quit eating fish and shark fin soup!! The oceans supply is not limitless. I personally think the aquarium hobbyist has led the way in cultured coral practices and fish breeding. We should start our own campaign like maybe wear shirts the say eat more beef ! It's good for the ozone layer! Or we could protest Red Lobster lol well that's enough

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I don't see Bob and the Shepards compromising and will continue until they get their way.

I agree wholeheartedly that fishing needs to be done responsibly and sustainably. Hundreds of dead fish by a dumpster is inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I don't see Bob and the Shepards compromising and will continue until they get their way.

I agree wholeheartedly that fishing needs to be done responsibly and sustainably. Hundreds of dead fish by a dumpster is inexcusable.
    You seem to forget that aquarium keeping is like the second most popular hobby on the planet. We have public opinion on our side. The Humane Society hasn't succeeded in banning cats and dogs and they have been at it a lot longer.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I didn't mean to imply that I think collection will be banned entirely...My point was, I don't think Bob and the Shepards have an out on this issue and will stirring up trouble for a long time.

Hopefully, they can enact some better regulation to protect the fisherman from harassment...and possibly better regulation to prevent a dumpster of dead fish from occurring as well.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I was hoping Chuck would chime in here! I, too, thought that didn't look like 50 feet of water. But, cameras can play tricks. Also, I am no scuba guy, but (at least in movies) you see folks replacing their regulators almost casually when they are removed. I find it hard to believe someone with 10,000 dives under her belt would have any trouble with that.

It plays well to her audience though, and that is likely what she hoped for all along.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    I was hoping Chuck would chime in here! I, too, thought that didn't look like 50 feet of water. But, cameras can play tricks. Also, I am no scuba guy, but (at least in movies) you see folks replacing their regulators almost casually when they are removed. I find it hard to believe someone with 10,000 dives under her belt would have any trouble with that.

It plays well to her audience though, and that is likely what she hoped for all along.
    Ok,I will chime. First loosing your reg is really not that bad. Any experienced diver would just grab their octopus reg,an emergency reg you carry strapped to your right side. It's used for emergency's only or to assist another diver who has run out of air or complete regulator failures. I really don't think she was that deep. A little to much plant growth and if your collecting fish your not doing it in deep water so you have more dive time to catch fish. Deeper you go the less time you get. To keep it simple without explaining what happens to your air supply and lung volume at 2 to 3 bar or residuals nitrogen levels versus dive time. Besides would you just stand there if you had someone swim at you like that ??? I wouldn't for sure . If it was me I would be filling my BC very quickly!
    Likes Hopkins liked this post

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Ok,I will chime. First loosing your reg is really not that bad. Any experienced diver would just grab their octopus reg,an emergency reg you carry strapped to your right side. It's used for emergency's only or to assist another diver who has run out of air or complete regulator failures. I really don't think she was that deep. A little to much plant growth and if your collecting fish your not doing it in deep water so you have more dive time to catch fish. Deeper you go the less time you get. To keep it simple without explaining what happens to your air supply and lung volume at 2 to 3 bar or residuals nitrogen levels versus dive time. Besides would you just stand there if you had someone swim at you like that ??? I wouldn't for sure . If it was me I would be filling my BC very quickly!
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Any diver knows that you don't bolt to the surface just because your regulator is having issues(or someone ripped it out of your mouth), you grab your octo and slowly make your way up. Something seems fishy about that video and the lady...
    rc Hopkins sig - This May Be The End

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Probably the most balanced report on the incident: Reef Confrontation in the Waters of Hawaii's Big Island
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last