[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mixing in some clowns - Sebae and Occy's

Bookmark and Share
    Berne - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Berne

Default Mixing in some clowns - Sebae and Occy's

i know the general rule of thumb is "dont do it".... that said...

have a tank (roughly 375g - lets call it a reverse corner tank - flat back to the wall with the ^ facing out into the room) that has a pair of established Sebae clowns in it. They seem to be tolerant of the other members of the tank - including very mild mannered stuff like red firefish - but i'm wondering what the chances are of mixing in a pair of Occy's into the system?

i know its always a risk, especially if the more dominate species has been established for a while (this pair has been there for 4+ years now) but looking to add a splash of color and personality in, and of course a good pair of occy's can totally fill that niche.

If this were a more aggressive species like a fire, tomato's or GSM's i wouldn't even be considering it, but if memory serves correctly the Sebae's are usually right in the middle of the clown family as far as typical aggression goes.

there's lots of rock structure in the tank, and the sebae's have claimed the front point of the reef as their little spot.

is there a snowball's chance in **** that this will work? or am i asking for guarantee'd drama attempting it?
    --

Berne K.

(still a planted tank nut)

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

If not for those who've pushed the envelope, we wouldn't be where we are in this hobby. Than again, if in doubt don't.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Berne

i'm just trying to potentially save a couple Occy's lives by getting experience from someone who may have tried that combo in the past with a large reef.

if i could just yank them out easily and start fresh i would - but getting a pair of clowns out of a reef with hundreds of pounds of live rock in it is a challenge to say the least!

and there's no way i'm tearing this rockset apart, its too nice and i'm not risking being able to replicate it as well as it was originally setup for something like this.
    --

Berne K.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Did you try it yet?

First Name
    Berne

yes. i introduced two occy's on the 16th along with a couple other critters.

i didnt see any immediate signs of aggression, but by the 23rd when i came back one of them was gone.

the other is still there as of friday anyway and seems to be doing well.

we'll see how it does long term.
    --

Berne K.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Gone? As in dead or missing?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Berne

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Gone? As in dead or missing?
    your guess is as good as mine. i didnt find a corpse, but there's enough cleanup crew in the tank that an animal the size of a baby occy can 100% disappear without a trace & its not like thats enough biomass to be noticeable in a nutrient spike in a 10 year old reef with probably 400 lbs of live rock in it.
    --

Berne K.

FlynnFish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    shanny
    Awards MBI Apprentice - Award nomination from bigbill accepted. Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Did you check your overflow box?
    With a tank that big I wouldn't see a reason why the two species would fight. In the wild clowns rarely leave the one foot space around their host Coral. (but then again tanks don't have predators).
    I need to attend a Fish Breeders Anonymous class.
    mbi sigaspx?uflynnfish&ampimg2 - Mixing in some clowns - Sebae and Occy's