[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My firefish is missing

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Default My firefish is missing

I got a fire fish today. I kept the lights down to just the moon lights and acclimated him. He was already quarantined 4 weeks. He was a bit skittish for about 5 minutes then settled in and peacefully swam in the upper center of the tank.
    I have a 70G cube. The inhabitants are:
    2 onyx clowns
    1 Diamond watchman goby
    1 Fairy wrasse
    1 yellow tang
    2 HUGE pajama cardinals
    1 Blue eyed midas goby (new today as well)
    I can see Midas hidden in a cove in the rockwork
    About 2 hours after being in the tank I noticed the firefish was missing. I have a canopy with polyscreen attached to the back to prevent jumpers. The overflow is a gl*******s overflow with teeth. I have the top covered so no access unless he squeezed through the teeth.
    I have searched the overflow box and didn't see anything with a flash light. I searched the back of the tank since there was a loose area in the screen. (Just in case)
    I went down to the basement and checked the sump and I still don't see him.
    I am wondering now if the Cardinals ate him? I put some very large peppermints in there and they snatched them up like candy. Anyone heard of Cardinals eating other fish? I am just puzzled that I cannot find a body.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Always learning, loving this hobby.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

He's hiding. One of mine will go into hiding for up to 2-3 days. It's the nature of the fish. However they are also known jumpers so if your sure there's no way he got out just keep your eyes open, he'll pop out somewhere
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    He's hiding. One of mine will go into hiding for up to 2-3 days. It's the nature of the fish. However they are also known jumpers so if your sure there's no way he got out just keep your eyes open, he'll pop out somewhere
    That's what I was hoping for. He seemed so settled in and comfortable that I was second guessing myself. All the other fish are pretty mellow but the clowns can get aggressive if you try to get in their corner of the tank. Maybe he got scared of them.
    Thanks. I feel better.

First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    Some Cardinals when larger are known to eat smaller fish, but not sure about PJ's specifically.... any crabs, and what kind of fairy wrasse as some of them can get fairly aggressive.

It is also possible that the clowns took it out as well if it entered their territory.
    The fairy wrasse is the pink one. I don't remember the name. Is pretty shy and never bothers any of the others. This happened in only about a 30 minute space of time. The tank is in the living room. We sat down for about 30 minutes in the dining room and it appeared to be great. When we went back to the living room, no sign of it again.

The only time I saw aggression with the Cardinals were the time I put in the peppermints. They thought they were snacks for them. They weren't even paying any attention to the fire fish earlier.
    I guess I will just have to wait and see if it shows up.

First Name
    Vicki

Theres quite a few that could be considered pink ones, but if its pretty shy probably not one of the more aggressive ones. Just trying to rule everything out really, hopefully it is just in hiding and will pop back out in a day or two
    I need to figure out the name of it. It's not a flasher. I bought after a chemo treatment and had "chemo brain". Could NOT remember the name of it. I will have to investigate. It is very shy. It took 3 days to come out when it first went into the tank. It is a peachy kind of pink.

First Name
    Vicki

Definitely can't blame ya for not remembering its name, certainly had more important things on the mind as well.... I hope your ok and well on your way to recovery!

It has been a long time, probably don't remember me but I came out and got some sand from you a few years back.... my wife and your daughter were pregnant around the same time (hope the grand baby is doing good)

If you can get a pic I can probably help you with an ID on your wrasse
    I remember now. Sara ended up having KJ 6 weeks early. He had a lot of problems the first year but he is doing great now. He literally screamed the 1st year. He had to wear a helmet so his skull would close up correctly and his pyloric valve wasn't working so the food wouldn't go into his stomach. All is well now and he is a darling boy that smiles all the time now.

How is your baby? I don' t remember if you were having a boy or a girl.
    I have finished my last chemo treatment and start radiation in January. I just had another surgery and have 1 possibly 2 more to go.The end is in sight
    I had to start over with my corals as they all died when I was sick. My family tried to help with the tank but got the salinity all off and things just didn't make it. Some of the guys have come over and done my water changes so I didn't have to tear down my tank. It is stable again now.

I will take a picture in the morning of the wrasse. The lights are out now.
    Here is full tank shot. you might can tell from it.
    20130114 201047 - My firefish is missing

Last edited by tcp316; 01-18-2013 at 03:22 PM.

First Name
    Vicki

[/QUOTE] If you can get a pic I can probably help you with an ID on your wrasse [/QUOTE]

FairyWrasse zpsbc620347 - My firefish is missing

This is the best I could do. She's agitated tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by tcp316; 12-29-2012 at 03:14 PM.

First Name
    Vicki

My Firefish and Midas blenny goby are coming out a bit tonight. I don't know what is so special about the left front corner rock but all the fish try to hang there when first put in the tank.
    The problem is that is the clowns territory.
    When I added the tang they bossed him around then the fairy wrasse quickky decided it wasnt worth it. The diamond watchman cracked me up. He stood up to them and built his cave under their rock.
    The firefish has been hiding in his cave. He keeps trying to come out but wants to hang in that corner and he has 4 fish bossing him. I hope he figures it out. He did come out and eat.
    The midas just hides in holes in the rocj and makes short appearances.
    DSC 9651 zpsa28a984a - My firefish is missing

You can see him sticking his head out here

Last edited by tcp316; 01-18-2013 at 03:24 PM.

First Name
    Vicki

I want to say whip fin fairy wrasse as it looks very similar to how mine did in pics, but it could be a couple different female fairy wrasses as well.... which I am kind of leaning towards a female hooded wrasse, but again still a couple other "possibles"
    I'll get my Nikon out and take a few pictures again. The phone pics just didnt cut it. This fish is perpetually moving

First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by tcp316 View Post
    I'll get my Nikon out and take a few pictures again. The phone pics just didnt cut it. This fish is perpetually moving

Ok, I was able to get a couple of focused ones this time
    FairyWrasse2 zps779277df - My firefish is missing
    DSC 9615 zps009ce2d1 - My firefish is missing

Here is one with the Midas
    DSC 9651 zpsa28a984a - My firefish is missing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last