[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My fish has a white cell buildup??

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default My fish has a white cell buildup??

I have been trying to get a good photo of this, but it won't show up good in a photo at all.

On the top fin on my false perc there is a white celluar type of build up. there appears to be one on the side of him as well.

He swims around, is quite active, but it seems like the other fish don't play with him as well. The are currently in the QT tank for ich, and I know it is not that otherwise all the fish would have it not just the 1, and this looks nothing like ich, it just appears to be cells/tissue built up on the fin.

Anyone have any ideas?

Try thse and see if you can trouble shoot it.. without a picture it's hard to diagnose....
    www.wetwebmedia.com/brooklynellosisart.htm
    www.nationalfishpharm.com/diseases.html
    hope this helps...
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

I might also add that I had Erik do a FW dip on this fish about a week ago and this "stuff" just fell off the fish on Erik's hand. He did the FW dip and the fish went back into QT without any signs of it. Now it's back.

He has sent me at least a dozen pics and none show it well at all.

I suggested he post it here because I think this one is beyond my knowledge.

Keri

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

sounds like some type of Fungus to me. you may be able to just catch the fish and gently pull it off. if not try another FW dip

CR Member

Well I have tried and tried. I think in total I have taken about 50 pictures.

100 0996 - My fish has a white cell buildup??
    100 1008 - My fish has a white cell buildup??

I hope this will help.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

can't tell from the picks, maybe fin rot or some type of fungus !?

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have something that looks like a buildup of salt on my orange "tree" sponge. When I rub it off, it just flakes away. It's not salt though. After wiping it off, it comes back and seems to spread to. It looks and sounds similar to your perc. I've been trying to find out what it is to no avail either. Could it be the same thing?
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

CR Member

My fish are in QT until Thursday, at that point they will rejoin the main tank because of that oh so midnight ich outbreak.

Question is, what should I do with the little fella that has that buildup? Put him in the main tank and see what happens? I have slighting elevated levels in the QT tank because my fish are stuck in a 10G tank together and doing 40% water changes every other day can only do so much.

My thinking is this
    The cleaner shrimp may help "clean" the problem
    The levels are lower and better for the fish
    More room to move about and less stressful

So should I put the little guy into the main, or leave him in QT by himself, or the hard part and put the guy to sleep.

CR Member

I was curious if this could be a cause
    When an animal is awake its high activity causes the body cells to be broken down faster than they can be built up. During sleep the buildup of body tissues takes place. Thus in order to maintain life, animals must periodically go through a stage that we refer to as sleep.

I have a Bio-Wheel 150 on a small 10G. Could the water movement cause lack of sleep which in turn cause the tissue buildup?

I read somthing about amonia burn but I'm thinking you both have a fungus thing going on!
    did you check out the site i sent?
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last