[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

my fish keep dying

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    BeGiNeR - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default my fish keep dying

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl#Okay, I know that this happens to a lot of beginners. That a lot of people lose fish in the beggining but I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have a clarkii clown and a yellow tang that were my first two fish. They have been completely fine and I have never had any problems with them. I tried a few bangaii cardinals and two didn't make it past acclimation and the third died within a week and a half of being introduced to the main tank. Then I got a yellow headed jawfish who was awesome. He has been in the tank for about a month and a half. Well, needless to say I came home from work today and he had died. He seemed to be happy and had made burrows all over the tank. He would switch to different ones depending on his mood. He ate fine and would spend a lot of time people and fish watching. He was so cool! The only thing that was odd was last night he didn't come out as far as he normally would to eat, but he did eat so I just let that go. I am wondering why my first two fish have done just fine but everything I have tried since just seem to keep dying. Should I just wait a few months before trying another fish? Is it the fish I am trying? The jawfish had been doing so well that I thought I was in the clear with him. I am scared to get anymore fish and I kind of feel like just giving up. Any suggestions, hints, tips, advice, anything would be greatly appreciated. I know what you are all thinking right now and that is well what are my readings. Well, my Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia are all 0. My #ed_op#ACRONYM title="power head or Measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions, depending on context"#ed_cl#PH#ed_op#/ACRONYM#ed_cl# is 8.2, my specific gravity is 1.023, and my temp is 78. I also do a 15% water change every week. Help please. #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Out of all of the fish that have died, did they all come from the same place? If so, I'd try another store. If not, try waiting for a month before purchasing anything else. Good luck,

Angie
    Seahorse Slave!!!

Sorry to hear about your losses...

Ditto on Angie's question - did the fish that died all come from the same store? Maybe they got in a bad shipment, or maybe they aren't caring for the fish well once they arrive. I'd wait a month or more if you want to buy another fish from them, or perhaps you should try a new store.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Whit is your water source ????

The only fish i ever lost was from using tap water after i first started salt.
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They did all come from the same store but so did the ones that have done fine. I will probably wait for about a month and maybe try a new store and see what happends. As far as the water that I use. I use well water but we have a water softener and I do treat it also.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I would suggest changing the water to rodi water, I would wait a little while also. but the cleaner the water the better, how long has the tank been set up??? but a rodi unit would save you a lot of headaches too. sorry to hear about the loss
    fulltankshot 1 - my fish keep dying

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#May be a dumb question but what is a rodi unit and rodi water?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The tank has been up since like mid summer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Greg

rodi units are a type of filter that will remove all of the impurities in your water which will help wit algae outbreaks and overall improve the qulity of your water. this is where I got mine they guys are awesome.... www.airwaterice.com I have the typhoon III and the customer service is second to none

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have one of those that filters the water for the whole house. Ours looks like the big blue one on there page. We also had a water softener next to it. So I don't know if it the water or not. At least not the water I am putting in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Greg

if you can get a TDS meter measure your TDS that is your total dissolved solids, if you have a rodi unit, it should read as close to zero as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last