[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My Powder Brown Tang Journal

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default My Powder Brown Tang Journal

Welp i took the plunge today and bought a powder brown tang. I scoped him out at the store and figured better time than any. He looked pretty healthy and was chowing down on some red seaweed even as he was trying to be cause he seemed more interesting in eating.

Got him home and temp acclimated than drip acclimated him for about an hour.
    Than i did what most probably wouldn't do, he went right to the DT.. no QT. I've seen people have better luck this way.. so im giving it a shot.

In the tank he didn't seem to skittish but most of the other fish did. My orange shoulder had no idea what to do, so he put on his best CIA undercover outfit and fallowed him around the tank. Not chasing just like watching his every move. Its funny cause the the powder brown would turn and the orange shoulder would start pecking at a rock like he wasn't fallowing him than when the powder brown would turn back around the orange shoulder would continue fallowing. I found this pretty comical.

I fed the tank hoping to calm some of the fish down, the powder brown didn't really know what to make of the pellets. i decided to try some of the red seaweed he started to warm up to them and eventually was making passes and nibbling at it, even a little grazing on the rocks.

Tried pellets again a while later and he seemed a little more intrested, maybe got a couple.. than i figured try a cube of spurlina brine shrimp.. he was hesitant at first than started having a few and i think he ended up getting his fill.. after all was said and done he had a very plump tummy full of nutrients.

So after day one... eating powder brown and no sign of ich yet... i know its still early.

so here it is.

IMG 3109 - My Powder Brown Tang Journal

IMG 3114 - My Powder Brown Tang Journal

IMG 3115 - My Powder Brown Tang Journal

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Beautiful fish!

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Beautiful fish!
    Very! Nice pic up.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

Beautiful fish...and good luck.

My powder blue I just picked up about 3 weeks ago didn't show any signs of Ich until week 2.

After losing 3 of them to QT in the past, I decided to go directly into the DT this time around as well. Seems like this will be the best chance for survival. The Yellow tang (added same day) seemed like he was going to be the aggressor, but the PBT quickly put a stop to that. The PBT rules the tank now.

The Ich did eventually show up. He has had it for about 2 weeks now, some days seem worst than others but he continues to eat like a pig everyday. I added a pair of baby occelaris clowns a week ago, and they both contracted the Ich. The smaller of the 2 passed yesterday, but the larger one is showing NO signs of Ich anymore. Not sure if hosting in my scolymia can cure Ich? Or help it?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Viva'sReef View Post
    Beautiful fish...and good luck.

My powder blue I just picked up about 3 weeks ago didn't show any signs of Ich until week 2.

After losing 3 of them to QT in the past, I decided to go directly into the DT this time around as well. Seems like this will be the best chance for survival. The Yellow tang (added same day) seemed like he was going to be the aggressor, but the PBT quickly put a stop to that. The PBT rules the tank now.

The Ich did eventually show up. He has had it for about 2 weeks now, some days seem worst than others but he continues to eat like a pig everyday. I added a pair of baby occelaris clowns a week ago, and they both contracted the Ich. The smaller of the 2 passed yesterday, but the larger one is showing NO signs of Ich anymore. Not sure if hosting in my scolymia can cure Ich? Or help it?
    good to know im gonna fatten him up the best i can in that time frame hopefully it wont show up.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Beautiful fish EMU. I dig powder browns they seem to be less aggressive then the blues so they say. WHo are "they" anyway?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Day 2:

No change. Showed a little interest in garlic soaked mysis might of gotten a few small pieces, some of the bigger pieces he would spit out and suck back in a bunch of times till he gave up. Still loves the red seaweed which i soaked in garlic too.

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

As I said in chat these are nice fish. I am a direct to display with tangs. Their ich seems to happen more when they are stressed. QT stresses them then moving to display stresses more. Keep us posted on this fish,
    Paulo

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Good luck man! My guess is you will do well with this fish.

Catch a bit of ich? Probly.

Get over it and live? I am thinking yes, at least thats my prediction.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Day 3:

Still no signs of ich, i know i know it might not happen right away but i figure each day i update the condition of the fish. Overall health looks great, fits well into the tank.

Fed the tank some Rods Reef food today. It liked the smaller pieces also put some of the red seaweed soaked in garlic guard into the tank today as well and naturally he started to peck at away at it.

still love this fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last