[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My Tomato Clowns finally spawned

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Here's a pic of the big mama.She's at least 3x the size of the little male in the
    pics above.Funny how things are backwards in the animal kingdom(male tends to the nest,female defends it)....LOL.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

congrats Dave. Think of all the fishy diaper you will be changing soon. : )

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Great pics too! Be sure to keep us posted on the progress, we can live it through your pics for now
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Day 7:The eggs have blackened and i can now see little tiny eyes on the maturing eggs/larvae.THey should hatch within the next 1-3 days.I'll take pics tommorow

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

you going to name half of them David, the other half after your wife and one Nemo?

LOL...This first spawn will likely go to feed the corals/inverts in the tank.I was advised to let them spawn 2-3 times before removing their eggs to a hatchery tank.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davejnz
    LOL...This first spawn will likely go to feed the corals/inverts in the tank.I was advised to let them spawn 2-3 times before removing their eggs to a hatchery tank.
    Any particular reason for this?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Well,when a pair of clowns spawn for the first time and their nest is disrupted,this can sometimes cause them to quit spawning or select a new nest site.By allowing them to lay a few clutches of eggs first,IT is less likely that you will "spook"/disrupt there spawning cycle.

Where are the pics?

Day 10-I am guessing the eggs should be hatching tonight.After testing all of my tanks params recently,I realised my temp was low(77).This is why they are taking longer to hatch.Unfortunately,the longer it takes for them to hatch,the more of their food source(egg yolk)that they use for the first day or 2 is being used up.Therefore,most will starve before learning how to hunt rotifers.Being that this spawn is not going to be raised,its not a problem.I am however buying a new heater and getting my temps back up to 81.
    In these pics i took,you can see the little eyes on the eggs/larvae reflecting the flash.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last