[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My wife wants an octopus...

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post

I've seen a video where someone had taught an octopus to do math on an abacus; Talk about a smart animal!
    Ok, that would be cool to see. They are by far one of my favorite animals. Not only do they show an extreme level of intelligence but they are very crafty predators.

I would love to get one sometime down the road. Do you have any pics of the old setup / ceph??

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

I have heard they can hold their breath underwater for a super long time ! And they never urinate upstream of their face, Plus as an added bonus Their are a wiz at doing your income taxes! LOL

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

I had a pygmy... absolutely loved him! His name was Calypso.
    I kept him in the biocube, with a cave of rocks, and changed out the lights for blue during the day and red at night. He was so adorable, I gave him the baby rings- the kind you link together, he would climb over them back/forth, (they floated) so he would pull them back down, like a tug-o-war.
    Also used the little plastic bobbles that you get a prize in at those $0.25 machines....I put little crabs in and he would pull them out.

There was a great show on the Science Channel last night all about Octopi Deep Sea Aliens. Looks like it will be on again at 4 a.m. tomorrow.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

The octopus hasn't come up in conversation around the house in a couple weeks...I'm thinking she filled her need for an exotic pet with the latest bird.

I could potentially see trying a small on in the 29 biocube someday though.

ReefSolutions - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    shannon
    Awards MBI Participant

Default octo

hey jim,
    we have a contact that can get us octopi. when they come in, their head is about the size of a baseball.
    the lady said she had one at her store for 3 years, it got to 4 feet long by the time it passed away. they put tons of toys in it and closed jars with food it for it play with. it would twist the jar lid off to get the food!
    good luck with finding a good tank.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

So some live longer than the year mentioned earlier?

I'd like one that stayed about 8 inches....and lives in biocubes if I get one (down the road).

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

JIM, a 4' octopus could pull you in the tank if he was mad . You would make national news !! haha

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

A quick pic of a dwarf...which again lasts about a year, but is not going to do damage to tank...any coral choices you plan on...that aren't as delicate, must also not 'sting' the octo. And they are just so damn cute being this small!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_nX6hwEOI"]YouTube- Octopus Color Change- Bamfield[/ame]
    Last edited by Chelle's Ocean; 08-14-2010 at 08:13 AM.

CR Member

Jim if your still interested in keeping an octopus, try oceans and seas in roseville. Brian almost always has one in stock. Great little pets, extremely intelligent.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last