[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Foolishness caught up to me (tang fight).

Bookmark and Share
    rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Foolishness caught up to me (tang fight).

Alright I have been in the hobby for about 2.5yrs. Generally I have been successful, with a death here and there which cant be completely avoided. I have gotten fish through various sicknesses without meds I have had good luck putting various fish together with nothing more that minor league bullying of the new guys. My sps do well my nems do great same with clams, blah, blah, blah.. In short I typically get away with cutting corners if I am carefull.

So cut to the present, Mobey's had a powder blue tang that was somewhat small, perfect condition, ate well and had been in store for 6mo. I love em, so I pulled the trigger and plopped him into my 180g, no qt, just acclimate and dump, same as I have done for every fish. Yes guys I know that is a cardinal sin so don't bother blasting me on the merits of qt, I know. Well he caught some crap intially from my blue hippo, who is a jerk, so I ditched the lights and went home for the night. When I came to work Sun morning the powder blue had his dorsal, tail and one pec fin frayed and had some marks on the body. The blue hippo was hunting him down and viciously I might add. Well I had enough of that jerk so I tore half the tank down and chased the hippo for about 30min. He currently resides at Mobey's living with a 6" grouper. I talked with Phil at Mobey's today and he said the hippo tried to bully the grouper a couple times, hows that for a thug fish??

Frankly I am happy to be rid of the hippo I took him from the size of a quarter to 5" in the last 18mo, and I never really warmed up to that fish, they just aren't that interesting, to me at least. In any event, the change in my whole tank is amazing, all fish seem more comfortable and nonchalant. The pbt is out and eating fine and hopefully he wont get any post injury infections from his *** whoopin. Well see if I pay the price for a non qt fish with the disease rep of a pbt going right into the tank, but it seems like 6mo in Mobeys copper tanks and his general good health, at least till the hippo, should give me a leg up.

I knew things were going too smooth. LOL Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Rabidgoose; 03-12-2011 at 04:46 PM.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rmalone View Post
    Alright I have been in the hobby for about 2.5yrs. Generally I have been successful, with a death here and there which cant be completely avoided. I have gotten fish through various sicknesses without meds I have had good luck putting various fish together with nothing more that minor league bullying of the new guys. My sps do well my nems do great same with clams, blah, blah, blah.. In short I typically get away with cutting corners if I am carefull.

So cut to the present, Mobey's had a powder blue tang that was somewhat small, perfect condition, ate well and had been in store for 6mo. I love em, so I pulled the trigger and plopped him into my 180g, no qt, just acclimate and dump, same as I have done for every fish. Yes guys I know that is a cardinal sin so don't bother blasting me on the merits of qt, I know. Well he caught some crap intially from my blue hippo, who is a jerk, so I ditched the lights and went home for the night. When I came to work Sun morning the powder blue had his dorsal, tail and one pec fin frayed and had some marks on the body. The blue hippo was hunting him down and viciously I might add. Well I had enough of that jerk so I tore half the tank down and chased the hippo for about 30min. He currently resides at Mobey's living with a 6" grouper. I talked with Phil at Mobey's today and he said the hippo tried to bully the grouper a couple times, hows that for a thug fish??

Frankly I am happy to be rid of the hippo I took him from the size of a quarter to 5" in the last 18mo, and I never really warmed up to that fish, they just aren't that interesting, to me at least. In any event, the change in my whole tank is amazing, all fish seem more comfortable and nonchalant. The pbt is out and eating fine and hopefully he wont get any post injury infections from his *** whoopin. Well see if I pay the price for a non qt fish with the disease rep of a pbt going right into the tank, but it seems like 6mo in Mobeys copper tanks and his general good health, at least till the hippo, should give me a leg up.

I knew things were going too smooth. LOL Wish me luck.

Well i was expecting worse when i started reading but wasn't that bad. Wierd that the hippo got all thug life on him. Even wierder that the PBT didn't get ich from that whole experience. Sounds like your gonna have a tough cookie on ur hands as far as PBT's go.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

glad it worked out... I bet the PBT will become the new alpha fish in short order.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well I am hoping that there just isn't any ich to get. My tank has been clean for well over 12mo, supposedly long enough to kill off ich, and the pbt spent 6mo in copper so he SHOULD have been clean going in. It's only been 2 days so time will tell.

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Be careful with the pbt mine crashed my whole tank all the fish I have left is a bar goby