[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Need Help Picking Compatible Fish

Bookmark and Share
    BeGiNeR - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Need Help Picking Compatible Fish

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am setting up a reef aquarium and have done a lot of reading and researching. I am trying to decide what fish I want in my aquarium but have read a lot of things that contradictory. I am looking for fish that are are reef and invertabrate safe. The fish I am interested in are dwarf angel, butterfly, clown, tang, dragonet, and I was told by the guy at my aquarium store to start with a damsel because it is docile. I also like the triggers and puffers because there different but I have heard bad things. Which of these fish would be best? Can I introduce a puffer or trigger into the mix? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

well sorry to inform you but you do not want to do puffers or triggers. triggers will eat your corals and are fairly aggressive. the same with puffers. and if you are looking at tangs your pushing it with a 75 gallon tangs need a pretty big tank. you would probably get away with a yellow tang. and angels I would stick with the dwarf angels like a flame angel or a coral beauty or lemon peel and even those sometimes will nip at corals. and dragonets I would not put one of those into a tank no less than one year, the reason is you want to make sure you have enough pods for themm to eat that is what they live off of. I would not go with damsels either, you get them into the tank and they become terrors they are very territorial. Sorry about all of the bad news. This is just me talking and what I have observed in the past in my own tanks. now on the other hand you still have some very nice fish left to choose from. you can do like a school of blue chromis. they are neat when they are in a school. 6 line wrasse they are neat fish and have some very nice color. clown fish are allways a winner. some butterfiy fish are nice. blennys are allways full of personality. I love my lawnmower blenny. gobys are great. I almost bought a diamond goby the other day he was so beautifull. royal gramma those are really pretty fish. that is just a few I can think of right now. I hope I didnt bum you out with all of the bad news.
    fulltankshot 1 - Need Help Picking Compatible Fish

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I figured I would go with the Yellow Tang because of the amount that are available and I do like the Flame Angel. As far as the puffers and triggers, that was the answer I expected to get but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for the info#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

anytime that is what we are all here for :D
    fulltankshot 1 - Need Help Picking Compatible Fish

Guido - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you or anyone else is looking for compatible fish, with ether existing fish or a reef aquarium check out this link.

http://www.solodvds.com/

Has a fairly large data base of just about any kind of fish you could imagine. (there's like 40 or so angels with information on them, as well as other fish....)
    Failure is for those who accept it.

zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, thats a good site! Try to stay away from the triggers and puffers. Its kinda hard to compete with graphixx post!!!!^#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the link, that's a great site. It's pretty much fool proof, which is what I need.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#