[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

neon dottyback

Bookmark and Share

Default neon dottyback

Quick question!!! I was at the lfs the other day and they had a lot of what they called neon dottybacks. After a few days I convinced myself I want one, but after some research I found that they "may harm ornamental shrimp". I have a cleaner shrimp that I would prefer not be harmed. Anyone had any experience with these fish and can they be housed with a cleaner shrimp? Thanks as always!!

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have/had a Sunrise Dottyback.All Dottybacks are very aggresive fish,in fact they are one of the only fish that my female Tomato Clown who's 4 times the size of the dottyback will not defend her territory against.I had peppermint shrimp in the tank,the dottyback never harmed them.With there aggresive,carnivourous nature,it wouldn't surprise me if they would attack a small ornamental shrimp.

Default neon dottyback

I have one and he rules the roost!!! He is a real bully. He and my flame hawk fish eat my hermit crabs and snails all the time. I put 4 peppermint shrimp in my tank and he thought he was at Ruth Cris' steak house. They are KILLERS. :twisted: :twisted:
    HEREI GO AGAIN !!!!

Thank you for the response. With the fact that I am going to just stick with the corals I have (for now :-D ) what other selection of fish can anyone recommend. One of my chromis just died today so I'm down to two. I really like the neon gobies, but other than that all the fish I like will either eat my polyps, are too large or will bully what I have. I like very active fish and my wife likes color (got to keep her happy or I cant get anything). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

What about a Yellow Watchman Goby? They don't get very large, Are very beautiful Yellow in color and mine hangs out at the front glass all day long. My wife loves him because she can put her hand right next to him on the glass and he won't run.....Instead, He "Barks" at her. She gets a real kick out of it.

I also want to get a 4 Wheel Drive Goby. Another pretty Goby.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Most any of the goby type fish are peaceful and make great additions to a reef tank.Clownfish have a small territory and are also very good additions to a small reef tank such as your 46gal IMO.