[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New fry tanks

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default New fry tanks

I stayed home on New Year's Eve and drilled a few tanks. Up untill now I have been scared to death to try to drill a tank. I figured they were only $10 -10g tanks so if I broke one it was no big deal. I now have sumps for my seahorse fry tanks. ( I still have 1 that doesn't "just incase") It should be easier to keep good water quality without the constant water changes. In the sump I have about 30 live feeder shrimp. They will eat any of the BBS that makes it down there. They love it. I also added 50+ amphipods, 1000+ copepods, and a brick of chaeto. There is also 10# of live rock and sand as well. (all from well established tanks) The fry tanks are bare bottomed for easier clean up. I used 1/3 dose of panacur to make sure there are no hydroids or other nasties that will hurt the fry. All of the feeder shrimp made it thru the panacur treatment. I was suprised. There is also a huge HOB filter. It's rated for a 60g tank. Overkill I know, but atleast the water will be clean

In the fry tank there is the 1" PVC pipe covered with a sponge (cover w/ pantyhose for the first week) so the fry don't get sucked down it. A few hitches, and airline, and a hose for the return from the sump. In the sump I have a mini-jet 606 powerhead with the hose attached to it. The hose is held onto the top fry tank with a U tube made out of a small lenght of PVC and 2 elbows. It just hooks over the side, with the hose fed thru it. Works great. Not too much flow, but enough to get the job done.

I have a male that is due to have fry tomorrow so I guess I will see how well the new system works. He is huge so I hope he has big babies.

I don't have a light on the fry tank, just on the sump. Since the main fry tank is bare bottomed, the light from the sump lights up the bottom of the top tank and that is where all of the BBS will gather. Since all of the BBS will be at the bottom of the tank.....so will the fry. Hopefully this will stop the fry from trying to get to the surface and snicking air. Once they get over inflated swim bladders most of them die. In theory this is supposed to work. I'll let ya all know. This will be the first batch of fry I"m not using a kreisel tank on. There is a kreisel effect in the tank with the OF and airline on one end of the tank and the return on the other. I hope it's enough. I do still have the old fry tank set up with older fry and kreisels in it just incase I have to use a kreisel. I'm ready no matter what Bring on the fry!!! :seahorse:

Angie

Sparky - Reefkeeper CR Member

Angie What type and brand of glass drill bit did you use. I have to drill some holes in the side of a 65 I am going to use for a fuge. Any advise you can give would be great, I have your old 65 and 30 sump all finished. It turn out really nice!! So now it's on to the 215 gal with a supper sump in the basement in all it will be round 450-500 gal. So I have a few holes that need to be drilled!

I used a 1 3/4 inch diamond drill / hole bit I bought off of ebay. It fits the 1 inch bulkhead PERFECT!! It was very easy to do. BUT....be prepared to go s l o w. It is not a quick process. For the 10g tanks, I stacked up 3 towles (folded in half) set a small piece of plywood over them. I stuck duct tape to the bottom of the tank to stabalize it and stop the glass disk from dropping out and chipping. I set the tank on top of the plywood and filled the tank with 1/2 inch of water. Then I drilled it. I drilled it from the inside. I did it this way so I didn't have to do it in the tub or sink. The duct tape stopped all of the water from running out when I drilled thru the glass.

HTH
    Angie

Got 2 warning babies today....In the new fry tank, works great. I'm sitting here waiting for the rest. Geesh.....I hate sitting and waiting for the fry. I'll post pics of the new fry tank asap.

Default Pics

New fry tank with fry.

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

My 2c when Drilling holes I use a drill guide to ensure it stays flat. I expect to spend 30-45 minutes per hole. (Tempered takes more) Question where did you get your amphipods, copepods? As I am starting up still and would love to swwd my Referum
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

I culture the copepods for my seahorse fry, and the amphipods came from the sump of my adult erectus tank. I just shake out a bunch of chaeto in an empty salt bucket and I get tons of them.

I have bought them in the past when I needed to "quickly" stock a fuge. I don't remember where I bought them though. Sorry.

Angie

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Here is well known place for pods and such.

http://www.ipsf.com/

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

Very Nice. Thank you!
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last